apple app dev - costs, procedure etc

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
i'm wanting to get into mobile dev.
some clients seem dead set on ios dev... which i guess is their call at the end of the day if they feel the demand on that platform warrants an app.
but if i'm going to make it worth my while i don't want to underquote.
one such a prospective client has a "limited budget" and wants a "simple app"... (we all know what that means).

so if i were to build a "simple app" let's say a kiddies flash card game or something, with no rpc's and not too much application logic, what am i looking at in terms of dev time and cost benchmarks? (let's pretend i'm familiar with the ios framework and sdk).
10k and 1 week?
50k and a month?

my other concern is that they will have to offset revenue vs cost of dev. and in an already saturated market, the roi is not going to happen unless you have a solid app offering something unique.
what are some of the other costs which i don't know about, like application and approval costs for the appstore?

thoughts?

dequadin

Expert Member
Apparently you have to do iOS development on a Mac, so factor that into your cost. I'm not sure if you have a Hackintosh, a second hand Mac Mini is "affordable".

It's also $ 100 / year to be part of the Apple Developer program.

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
thanks. don't worry about the mac, i've got that, installed the sdk and everything's set up.

fxit_man

Executive Member
If you want to host anything on Cydia, we have our own local repo set up over at iPhoneZA :D

There's also a dev section there which I am hoping to grow!

murraybiscuit

Executive Member
If you want to host anything on Cydia, we have our own local repo set up over at iPhoneZA :D

There's also a dev section there which I am hoping to grow!

yeah, i saw that. i'd be more inclined to put personal dev on your repo and client dev on the appstore.
early days still though.

fxit_man

Executive Member
yeah, i saw that. i'd be more inclined to put personal dev on your repo and client dev on the appstore.
early days still though.

Yeah sure, was just saying if you make any personal stuff that you wanted to host for us locals, lemme know.