Apple in talks to acquire Intel's modem unit

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The only reason I don't want Intel to go bankrupt is that the lack of competition would be terrible for AMD.

Awful company. They won't price an item a penny below what the think they can get away with. Innovation was little to nothing while AMD wasn't competitive. They still refuse to spend a few cents extra per unit on a decent thermal compound or soldering like AMD, despite the certainty of lowering temps by 10-20° C.

There is definitely a strong sentiment in PC gaming communities that if AMD is competitive then it's the way to go for CPUs. I think people are sick of Intel's s**t.

Swa

Honorary Master
The only reason I don't want Intel to go bankrupt is that the lack of competition would be terrible for AMD.

Awful company. They won't price an item a penny below what the think they can get away with. Innovation was little to nothing while AMD wasn't competitive. They still refuse to spend a few cents extra per unit on a decent thermal compound or soldering like AMD, despite the certainty of lowering temps by 10-20° C.

There is definitely a strong sentiment in PC gaming communities that if AMD is competitive then it's the way to go for CPUs. I think people are sick of Intel's s**t.
We were stuck on dual and quad core while Intel was in charge. It's only when AMD made 6 and 8 core mainstream that developers found out they had to start optimising for multiple cores.

They did up the thermal paste on the 7th or 8th gen and up, delidding isn't worth it anymore. Gamers nexus did a delidding test.

In regards to the article, I don't think it's actually that good for Apple, since Intel modems are known to offer a lot worse performance than Qualcomm at half the efficieny.

An interesting article on financial reasons why Intel quit though : https://marketrealist.com/2019/04/technology-implications-of-intels-5g-decision/

I think Apple wouldn't be after the technology as Intel have it right now... it would be a slightly longer play for them to bring the modem design inhouse and it would give them a head start.