Apple iPad 3G - on Vodacom networks

surfs-up

Expert Member
I posted this on the Vodacom forum also, in the hopes of getting some ideas about the compatibilty of the new 3G iPad, before I leave for the USA in 2 weeks.

Quote:

I am leaving in 2 weeks time for Chicago, USA. I am wanting to buy the, soon to be released, 3G version of the 64GB iPad. However, it will take the new, smaller, micro-sim cards. Will Vodacom be bringing out micro sims in the near future to be used with the 3G iPads ? I understand that the 3G iPads to be sold in the USA will be open to be used by any network. I also saw pictures showing the new micro-sims alongside a regular sim, and the only difference, appears to be that there is less of the (non-used) board material - the gold bits in the middle are the same size and shape as the regular sim. So it has been suggested that you only need to trim down a regular sim, to the same size and shape as the micro-sim, and it should work. Any ideas on this ?

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Yeah, exacto knife that beatch. Don't worry we we will know for sure very soon when the iPad 3G is officially released, taken apart, and about a million other people across the world ask the same question.

surfs-up

Expert Member
Okay, I have decided to throw the cash down and see what happens. I will buy the 3G iPad, with an AT&T micro sim card with prepaid data - to use while in the USA, and when I get back here, I will use the AT&T micro sim as a template, to cut a vodacom sim down to the correct size. I have just done some browsing and see that it should work - there are already adapters available that make a micro sim large enough to work in a mini sim application. I will report back here, how it works. If all else fails, I guess I can just tether my iPad to my iPhone for internet access, until a work-around appears.

Last edited:

myNeo

I was just about to ask the same question I have mine on order will be delivered to my mate in NYC on the 5th of May. I really want to know when Vodacom is getting the micro sim..... but if they cant even deliver sms's on time (I get a week or two delayed sms's) I wonder if they can do bloody Micro sim

surfs-up

Expert Member
I am just worried that when I get to Chicago on Monday next week, there will be no stock left of the 3G 64GB iPad. I have just read a report on the Apple site, saying that sales of the iPad have gone over one million this past weekend. To put it in perspective, when the iPhone was first released it took 3 months to sell 1 million iPhones. But obviously the new iPhone's reputation grew in leaps and bounds, because when they updated the iPhone and brought out the iPhone 3GS last year, it took.....wait for it.....3 DAYS to sell 1 million of the new iPhone 3GS.

Anyway, let's hope I get my iPad next week. I have already programmed my GPS with over 10 Apple stores coordinates, in the cities I will be visiting in Illinois, Indiana and Ohio - so if the one doesn't have, then maybe I get from one of the others.

myNeo

Hmm its going to be real tight. I have been on the waiting list of pre orders for the 3G since it was announced. I was "guaranteed" a unit on the 5th of May just got a mail saying it's been delayed due to popular demand. They said I should have mine the 9th of May. But then it's in NYC with a mate of mine and I have no way of bringing it back unless I pay DHL $100 and then still customs

smc

FYI, I can confirm that the iPad does work on Vodacom. Process:

1. Buy prepaid SIM, register, and load with a data bundle (Note you will have to first insert it into a cell phone to activate it by dialing 100). Don't trim to size till you have activated! Also note you need a data bundle, not just airtime.

2. Cut SIM to size using the ATT SIM from the iPad as a guide - I just used a pair of sidecutters. There are also lots of guides on line (Google SIM to micro SIM)

3. Put SIM into iPad

4. Set the APN (Cellular Data -> APN Settings) to internet (The iPad doesn't seem to have the setting in firmware). Leave the user id and password blank.

That's it - cell access.....

Sandy

Adoxographist

I read an article where vodacom, mtn and cell-c were importing micro sim just for ipads. It should still take a time for it to be released here.

Hydrofire

Can confirm that the same settings work on MTN.

FYI, I can confirm that the iPad does work on Vodacom. Process:

1. Buy prepaid SIM, register, and load with a data bundle (Note you will have to first insert it into a cell phone to activate it by dialing 100). Don't trim to size till you have activated! Also note you need a data bundle, not just airtime.

2. Cut SIM to size using the ATT SIM from the iPad as a guide - I just used a pair of sidecutters. There are also lots of guides on line (Google SIM to micro SIM)

3. Put SIM into iPad

4. Set the APN (Cellular Data -> APN Settings) to internet (The iPad doesn't seem to have the setting in firmware). Leave the user id and password blank.

That's it - cell access.....

Sandy

surfs-up

Expert Member
Well I just got back a few hours ago from the USA. I had GREAT difficulty getting an iPad - ALL Apple stores were completely sold out of all models wi-fi and 3G. I was after the 64 GB 3G iPad, so I went ahead and did an order with the Apple store, and asked them to deliver my iPad to the Cincinnati Apple store (the closest store to where I was spending most of my time there). The store told me it could be anything from 1 week to 2 weeks. I was only going to be in the USA for 1 week, so I just hoped that mine would arrive on time, before I left to come home. Well on the day I was leaving to drive to Chicago to fly home, I still hadn't heard from Apple, so I went onto eBay, located a guy who was selling a brand new 64 GB 3G in Indianapolis (on my way back to Chicago), so I met up with him, and had to shell out a premium - $ 1100.00, about $ 250.00 more than the Apple store would have charged me. Well, this one was like he said - still in the Apple packet, still with the factory plastic sealing the box, and with the Apple invoice. I stopped at a wireless hotspot in Indianapolis to activate my iPad, and sync all my stuff on my MacBook Pro onto the new iPad. I then went ahead and downloaded my email - damn - there was a new email from Apple to say that my iPad I had ordered was ready for collection at their Cincinnati store !!!!! Too late.... I phoned the store and told them I had already bought one off ebay, as I was leaving the country later that day.
The iPad worked great, I bought a prepaid data package from AT&T, so I could use it while I was waiting for my plane. Wow, with AT&T I was getting 2.4 Mbps download speeds on their 3G network.

Well I am home now, cut one of my Vodacom sim cards down to micro sim size - using my AT&T card as a template. Installed it.....works perfect, iPad recognizes it, and I am surfing on internet and doing email etc on 3G with my iPad. Although I paid a premium for my iPad, I still think it was worth while - really great device. I think it is imperative to get the 3G model, for mobile internet use, otherwise you would be stuck to hotspots, and there are few of them in this country. Most of the apps need internet connection so, 3G is the way to go I think

marlinwebster

Excuse my extreme ignorance here... I've been a contract subscriber since 1994, so am clueless about prepaid. How do I go about topping up my data on the SIM in my 3G iPad, and is there a way to check the data balance? i was lazy enough to go to a cell shop in PTA, and the very generous folk there cut the SIM to size and loaded the data on it.

Thanks!

M

dh_za

@Surfs Up ...

Have you JB your Ipad? and if so did you use the spirit JB?

I just got mine 64gb 3g and want to go ahead and JB, but i see it is not as simple as using the make ir rain programs as it was on the 3gs.

Any comments on this ?