Apple Mac virus

Kate2019

Hi I have a MacBook Pro and the adobe suite on it. I just wanted to know if I need to load an antivirus on the laptop or does Apple Mac not need antivirus?
Thanks

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
From my experience the mac versions of main stream antiviruses have the worst UI ive ever seen.

Avast for PC is epic.
Avast for Mac is garbage.

Not sure why they dont make carbon copies for the Mac version.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
While it's not impossible it is less likely.

The age old adage of "don't be a retard" should keep you safe, but if you fear that you might trip yourself up then you can install any of the free varieties.

I'm partial to Sophos.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
From my experience the mac versions of main stream antiviruses have the worst UI ive ever seen.

Avast for PC is epic.
Avast for Mac is garbage.

Not sure why they dont make carbon copies for the Mac version.
Well obviously the underlying systems are completely different, but yes the GUI's should ultimately be the same.

Odds are it's completely different teams building completely different products that just get the same branding on as Microsoft used to do with Office in the old days.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Don’t install Flash.

Don’t install Java.

XProtect, Gatekeeper and MRT are good. One more layer won’t hurt ‘tho.

3WA

Executive Member
Buy some cheap R5k laptop and do all your questionable surfing on that. Or else if you have a smart TV visit your questionable websites directly from the TV browser. Less chance of your main computer getting infected.

Also periodically maintain your router and change your router default passwords so your questionable websites don't infect your router.

With great fetishes come great risks.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Make sure you keep the OS up to date - that's the biggest defence on a Mac... and don't click $#*&^$#%*