Apple to abandon Lightning for USB-C - Report

garyc

Expert Member
Mac Otakara added that this move would not be limited to iPhones - iPads would also get the new connection.
... and they say this will only happen in 2020. The iPad Pro already has this, making one wonder how much the author knows about the products.

Crowley

Executive Member
Except those accessories will be able to work with Android phones.
Knowing Apple it would have to be Apple MFI Certified and the chip would disable it working on Android or something. Can't have the super expensive Apple cables mixing with the Android pleb cables now can we?

Tacet

Expert Member
I wish the two standards could have been swopped, though. I really like the design of the lightning connector - a simple flat piece of PCB going into a receptacle. The USB-c connector is a much smaller PCB sitting inside a receptacle. The lightning connector is just simpler. But standardization is good, even if it isn't to the connector I like more.

krycor

Honorary Master
I wish the two standards could have been swopped, though. I really like the design of the lightning connector - a simple flat piece of PCB going into a receptacle. The USB-c connector is a much smaller PCB sitting inside a receptacle. The lightning connector is just simpler. But standardization is good, even if it isn't to the connector I like more.
Pretty much this.. I prefer the male socket on cable than female.

As much people want to sell it as Apple making changes for better good.. it's also to do with European Union rules for devices.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
This is not a good thing. Lightening connectors do not break - easily. The female ports simply get clogged up with lint and crap from your jeans pocket.