Are We Actually Misleading Customers Here?

Fridge Hosting

New Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2025
Messages
6
Reaction score
3
Location
South Africa
We encounter this too often: customers become extremely frustrated — sometimes resorting to fairly serious profanity — when we proactively contact them to explain that they haven't purchased a domain with their hosting.

The order usually looks something like this.

During checkout, the customer is presented with:

Purchase Domain: I want to purchase a new domain.
Transfer Domain: I want to transfer an existing domain.
Connect Domain: I want to connect an existing domain.

They select:

Connect Domain: I want to connect an existing domain.

They then enter a domain which, when we check the order, turns out not to be registered at all.

Because we manually review new orders, we'll usually spot this and contact the customer before they actually experience a problem.

The hosting has already been provisioned and is ready to use — there's simply no domain in existence to connect to it.

And this is where things get interesting.

We're told there are hidden fees. We're accused of being misleading. Occasionally we're even called a scam.

So rather than simply assuming the customer is wrong, we'd genuinely like some outside opinions.

Go through the ordering process and tell us:

Are we missing something?

Does:

“Connect Domain: I want to connect an existing domain”

reasonably give the impression that we're going to register that domain for you?

Because from our side, the word “existing” seems to be doing quite a lot of work there. 😄

Perhaps we should change it to:

“I already own this domain and only want to connect it to my hosting.”

Or even add:

“I confirm that this domain is already registered.”

We're genuinely interested in feedback, particularly from people who aren't involved in hosting.

If there's a way to make the process clearer, we'll change it.

And if you go through it and also conclude that an “existing domain” should probably exist, thanks in advance for the sanity check. 😄
 
I can see how the words connect a domain could be misinterpreted by someone that isn’t clued up on how domain names and hosting work, so my suggestion is to change Connect Domain to Connect Existing Domain or Connect Registered Domain
 
I can see how the words connect a domain could be misinterpreted by someone that isn’t clued up on how domain names and hosting work, so my suggestion is to change Connect Domain to Connect Existing Domain or Connect Registered Domain

I agree with this, Connect Registered Domain or something similar would make more sense. Also then maybe just a quick automated check if the domain they are entering exists, if not then pop up a "Do you want to register a new domain" type box
 
I can see how the words connect a domain could be misinterpreted by someone that isn’t clued up on how domain names and hosting work, so my suggestion is to change Connect Domain to Connect Existing Domain or Connect Registered Domain
I can see how 'Connect Domain' on its own could be misunderstood, but the subtext is clear though?

I’m more concerned about how 'Connect Domain: I want to connect an existing domain' is being translated into "new, free domain". That’s where the profanity begins.
 

Attachments

  • 1790857451718.png
    1790857451718.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 5
I agree with this, Connect Registered Domain or something similar would make more sense. Also then maybe just a quick automated check if the domain they are entering exists, if not then pop up a "Do you want to register a new domain" type box
We don’t do a 'lookup' because there are legitimate cases where the customer knows what they’re doing and isn’t expecting a new, free domain. We don’t want to push them into a purchase just because the domain isn’t registered at that moment.

I’m more concerned about how 'Connect Domain: I want to connect an existing domain' is being translated into "new, free domain". That’s where the profanity begins.
 

Attachments

  • 1790859128988.png
    1790859128988.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 3
I think start with the suggestions that have been made within this thread and see if the abuse and complaints stop, else reword it more to include (No Free Domain Registration)
 
1790860739732.png


2x, 3x 4x more than what?
What is the spec for hosting?

No wonder people use profanities...
 
View attachment 1941835


2x, 3x 4x more than what?
What is the spec for hosting?

No wonder people use profanities...
Select - Starter = Core - Starter x 2
Select - Standard = Core - Standard x 3
Select - Business = Core - Business x 4

'Select' plans was created for customers who need more resources for their 'Core' plans, so the comparison is against the corresponding 'Core' package. They’re intended as a natural upgrade path from 'Core'.
 
Select - Starter = Core - Starter x 2
Select - Standard = Core - Standard x 3
Select - Business = Core - Business x 4

'Select' plans was created for customers who need more resources for their 'Core' plans, so the comparison is against the corresponding 'Core' package. They’re intended as a natural upgrade path from 'Core'.
I still don't see CPU cores, RAM etc?
 
Select - Starter = Core - Starter x 2
Select - Standard = Core - Standard x 3
Select - Business = Core - Business x 4

'Select' plans was created for customers who need more resources for their 'Core' plans, so the comparison is against the corresponding 'Core' package. They’re intended as a natural upgrade path from 'Core'.
Better to just write it our rather than expect the customer to click back to Core and do a calculation.
 
Pricing for what is provided also seems way off compared to others.

Here's a screenshot from domains.co.za:


1790861766993.png
1790861792899.png
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X