Are We On The Event Horison?

Our Galaxy is held together by a singular entity... a colossal Black Hole which draws us towards it with its enormous gravitational force...

Blackholes are known to consume and digest anything in its way and the matter as it is consumed forms the Event horizon which is the point just before entering the mouth of the Black Hole.

My Question is simple. According to Einsteins theory of relativity we would never know that we are in a Blackhole and although we might seem like we are being torn apart from outside we are infact perfectly fine. Almost like when you see a car driving passed you very fast.

Are we on an Event Horizon?

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
No, we aren't on the event horizon....

We many many thousands of light years away from the event horizon of the black hole at the centre of our galaxy.

lion_fish

Expert Member
If the black hole is in the centre of the universe, and the universe is constantly expanding outwards... arent we getting further away from Event Horizon effect?

I think that the universe is inherently in need of shrinking. The fact that gravity exists is proof of this to me. The force of gravity constantly tries to bring bodies of mass together. I don't think we are expanding at all.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
I think that the universe is inherently in need of shrinking. The fact that gravity exists is proof of this to me. The force of gravity constantly tries to bring bodies of mass together. I don't think we are expanding at all.
Gravity is actually a very weak force. Think of anything that you can lift up - you're defying the earth's gravitational pull towards it's centre.

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Highflyer_GP said:
Gravity is actually a very weak force. Think of anything that you can lift up
:confused: Thats like concluding that electricity is a weak force just because a 9v battery can only power a small motor.

nauseous_monkey said:
I don't think we are expanding at all.
It is. They can measure the speed by looking at the light spectrums that planets emit.

The question is rather whether the Big Bounce model is right or not.

Meh, enough pseudo science for one day.

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
:confused: Thats like concluding that electricity is a weak force just because a 9v battery can only power a small motor.
You're thinking of gravitation, not gravity. There is a subtle difference. Gravitation deals with the attractive forces that objects exert on one another, particularly when dealing with celestial bodies. Gravity refers to the force produced by an object with mass. I was referring to earth's gravity. The earth's pull on the moon, for example, is due to gravitation.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
You're thinking of gravitation, not gravity. There is a subtle difference. Gravitation deals with the attractive forces that objects exert on one another, particularly when dealing with celestial bodies. Gravity refers to the force produced by an object with mass. I was referring to earth's gravity. The earth's pull on the moon, for example, is due to gravitation.
Fair enough. I didn't know there is a difference/never noticed it. Its not quite clear to me what the difference is: i.e. How is lifting something here on earth different to the attraction between the moon+earth. I know the calculation is the same...

Wiki has a different take on it too + inconsistent use within each article.:confused:

Highflyer_GP

Honorary Master
Fair enough. I didn't know there is a difference/never noticed it. Its not quite clear to me what the difference is: i.e. How is lifting something here on earth different to the attraction between the moon+earth. I know the calculation is the same...

Wiki has a different take on it too + inconsistent use within each article.:confused:
Actually the equations are quite different.

The force due to gravity varies from object to object. The larger the object, the larger the force due to a larger acceleration towards the centre of that object. On earth the gravitational acceleration is ~9.8 ms^-2. On Jupiter that acceleration would be much larger due to it's size. Newtons 2nd law approximates this quite well (F = ma).

Gravitation on the other hand is based on Newtons law of universal gravitation, which states that all objects attract each other with a force of gravitational attraction. The equation for this takes into account the mass of both objects, as well as the distance separating their centres. If I recall correctly I think it's something along the lines of
F = (G*m1*m2)/d^2 where G is the constant of proportionality.

P

Picard

Our Galaxy is held together by a singular entity... a colossal Black Hole which draws us towards it with its enormous gravitational force...

Blackholes are known to consume and digest anything in its way and the matter as it is consumed forms the Event horizon which is the point just before entering the mouth of the Black Hole.

My Question is simple. According to Einsteins theory of relativity we would never know that we are in a Blackhole and although we might seem like we are being torn apart from outside we are infact perfectly fine. Almost like when you see a car driving passed you very fast.

Been watching the History channel last night, hey?

Nanfeishen

Executive Member
Individually we all exist in/on an event horizon.

Event horizon, in general relativity, is a general term for a boundary in spacetime, an area surrounding the black hole, beyond which events cannot affect an outside observer. Light emitted from inside the horizon can never reach the observer and anything that passes through the horizon from the observer's side is never seen again.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Event_horizon

The future, like the light can never be seen, and like the past once anything passes by it is never seen again, it remains unalterable, as the future remains unknowable, -- so all life exists on an event horizon.