ASP.NET/C# Web Development Training/Tutorials - Advice Needed

deliengs

Hi Everybody
I was hoping i could get some advice on Web Development Training.

I have no programming experience, I have delved into it here and there to understand concepts and to see what the code may be doing and played around a little wherever I could.

I have been looking to get into ASP.net/C# training to learn programming, web development specifically, but I am not sure where to start.

Do I start with c# training first before the web development portion of it?
Is there a difference between normal c# and that of web development?
Any other advice on online tutorials etc?

wezzcoetzee

Web Development normally means learning HTML, JavaScript, etc.

C# is a development language, you'd use C# for concepts such as MVC. You can write an entire website without using any sort of "backend" code, like C#. With that being said, if you look at latest trends, Java is more sort after than C#.

Learning either first won't really impact you, depends what you want to end up doing I guess.

If you want to just do Web Development, to start off I'd look into HTML5, JavaScript/JQuery. ES6 and Angular are a must, but you'd first need to go through HTML5 and JavaScript.

deliengs

Web Development normally means learning HTML, JavaScript, etc.

C# is a development language, you'd use C# for concepts such as MVC. You can write an entire website without using any sort of "backend" code, like C#. With that being said, if you look at latest trends, Java is more sort after than C#.

Learning either first won't really impact you, depends what you want to end up doing I guess.

If you want to just do Web Development, to start off I'd look into HTML5, JavaScript/JQuery. ES6 and Angular are a must, but you'd first need to go through HTML5 and JavaScript.

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Hmm I see what you saying. Reason I mentioned C# is because of the Microsoft base, i have been through some tuts on Javascript, HTML & CSS but now looking at Server Side programming that will allow me to interact with database's etc But maybe Java could also be a good alternative

eye_suc

Expert Member
wezz pretty much covers it :)

All that being said though, sign up at Microsoft Virtual Academy and get cracking! Free and some of the courses they do are starting quite low.

https://mva.microsoft.com/

You just need some bandwidth and an IDE. The videos show you exactly what to do, and then you get quizzes afterwards to see if you followed.

eternaloptimist

don't go the node route. JS and all it's frameworks/libraries are a hot mess at the moment. If you want to learn web rather go for (Go || Rails || Elm || Phoenix || whatever) ... JS stacks are not for beginners, stuff is changing at such a rapid rate in JS world e.g ES6 2015, stacks? Mean/Koa/Hapi/Sails ... front-end? Ember/Vue/React/Angular 1.X || Angular 2/ React JSX Redux Flux don't even mention tooling lol Webpack/Gulp/Grunt/Browserify lol ...

mr_norris

Expert Member
wezz pretty much covers it :)

All that being said though, sign up at Microsoft Virtual Academy and get cracking! Free and some of the courses they do are starting quite low.

https://mva.microsoft.com/

You just need some bandwidth and an IDE. The videos show you exactly what to do, and then you get quizzes afterwards to see if you followed.

Following on that, if you sign into here with your MS account, you get 6 months free access to PluralSight.

They have some of the most boss tutorial videos I've come across.

wezzcoetzee

Hi
Thanks for your reply.
Hmm I see what you saying. Reason I mentioned C# is because of the Microsoft base, i have been through some tuts on Javascript, HTML & CSS but now looking at Server Side programming that will allow me to interact with database's etc But maybe Java could also be a good alternative

You can go the C# route. I'm a C# dev and I found it extremely easy to switch to Java.

@eternaloptimist, I agree that the node route is changing at a rapid pace, but that's the nature of software development, keeping up with the latest trends... It's not easy to jump into Angular/ES6 and so on, but at the end of the day it will benefit you a lot more.

Check out Ionic Framework for example.

deliengs

Thanks everyone for all the information.:) Gonna probably some of the courses on MVA (thanks eye_suc)