Australians could soon have to live without Google

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
Australians could soon have to live without Google

Imagine a world without Google, the search engine so pervasive it’s the starting point for more than five billion queries a day. That’s the reality facing Australia, where the tech giant is threatening to unplug its homepage in a standoff with the government.

Google opposes a planned law that would force the company and Facebook Inc. to pay Australian publishers for news content.

The Internet juggernaut’s ultimatum to local lawmakers - change the legislation, or else - has left a digital vacuum hanging over a nation that essentially knows just one way to navigate the web. Google runs 95% of Internet searches in Australia.

[Bloomberg]

Grouter

Expert Member
Australian politicians seem almost as dumb as our lot here. Like the way they're trying to ban vaping and encourage smoking as a result: ....'cos the money...
Full disclosure: I'm Australian.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Cut them off from all of google's services lets see who blinks first.

ilikepi

lol, Google says #OpenInternet, let us monopolise your search queries or else, Google doesn't know the meaning of Open Internet :ROFL:

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Anyway, I'm starting to think these big companies is stifling progress in innovation, for profit.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I think the argument is flawed.
These news outlets have great opportunity to sell advertising and actual newsworthy content.
It's like walking up to someone, asking for directions and expecting them to take you there and buy you lunch.
It doesn't compute.