Autodesk Inventor and Graphics Cards

Fleming

I am looking for some advice from people who have experience using Autodesk Inventor CAD software with a gaming card.

I currently have a 3.5 year old HP 8740w mobile workstation that is starting to show its age and needs replacing. The problem I have is I need to choose between another mobile workstation or, for the same money, a gaming laptop with a better processor, more ram, more hard drive space and at least double the memory on the graphics card.

A few years ago it would have been no contest, take the workstation, as Inventor required a graphics card with strong Open GL capabilities however Autodesk recently moved to Direct X. As a result there are reports on the internet that a decent gaming card will outperform a workstation card for the same money however I cant find any actual tests with direct comparisons. I think Autodesk is fairly unique in this regard. Most other CAD packages still use Open GL.

Our Autodesk re-seller is recommending the workstation as that's whats recommended on the Autodesk website. I am inclined to go with this suggestion however something in the back of my head tells me I could get more performance for the same money.

The computers I am tossing up between have the following cards:
Quadro K2100M 2Gb
Geforce GTX 860M 4Gb or GTX 870M 6Gb

Oh, and I know someone is going to suggest rather getting a desktop. This isn't an option, I need to be mobile. I travel a fair amount for work and even when not traveling I take my computer to meetings in different venues in the building for presentations of the work I am doing.