Average Salary - Junior Developer

zelo

Hi all,

I want to compare my salary, experience and daily duties with other junior developers.

Please post your average monthly salary, years experience and your daily work requirements.

For me its:
R 7500 net, 2 years experience
Working on multiple codeigniter projects, integrating them with various apis, integrating ecommerce sites with accounting systems.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
lol, straight out of varsity zero experience we are paying devs more than double that...

Move now.

Suspect99

Executive Member
Hi all,

I want to compare my salary, experience and daily duties with other junior developers.

Please post your average monthly salary, years experience and your daily work requirements.

For me its:
R 7500 net, 2 years experience
Working on multiple codeigniter projects, integrating them with various apis, integrating ecommerce sites with accounting systems.

I'm not in IT but that seems extremely low.

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way
Small/medium/large company?
After 2 years of experience I think it's time to drop the "junior".
Does your company do performance reviews? How fare you?
You're either a crappy developer or you're being horrendously underpaid.

Masataka

Definitely well on the low side - in a decent company, after 2 years (assuming you're good at what you do), you should be looking 20+. But that's for someone with a degree.

zelo

lol, no one else posting there exp/duties/salary?

i only have a php certificate from unisa, and in retrospect it really only was a most basic course, most of my experience comes from regular coding solving daily coding problems.

small company, im the only php developer there, rest of the employees does marketing, sales, html/wordpress sites.

Last edited:

zippy

Honorary Master
Wen someone says "working on", that can mean anything. Like, clicking "Run report" :)

There is no such thing as an "average" IT salary. For junior, or senior or whatever. Other than for meaningless statistical purposes.

Priapus

Executive Member
small company, im the only php developer there, rest of the employees does marketing, sales, html/wordpress sites

Does explain the low salary. Doesn't explain why you should be staying there.

zelo

Wen someone says "working on", that can mean anything. Like, clicking "Run report" :)

There is no such thing as an "average" IT salary. For junior, or senior or whatever. Other than for meaningless statistical purposes.

working on for me means developing it from scratch or extending the existing features

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

i only have a php certificate from unisa, and in retrospect it really only was a most basic course, most of my experience comes from regular coding solving daily coding problems.

small company, im the only php developer there, rest of the employees does marketing, sales, html/wordpress sites.

Does explain the low salary. Doesn't explain why you should be staying there.

This.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
5 years experience at the same company.
Still junior
Coldfusion development
Sql analyst
Integration expert.

14k ctc.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Which demographic area? Makes a big difference on salaries.

Gezza

Expert Member
Best thing for developers is to not stay at the same company for more than a year or two. Get the experience and apply for another job. If you think that the company you work for will adjust your salary based on your experience (After you've been employed there for a while), you are sadly mistaken.

The only way to increase your salary dramatically is to move to a different job. I've been paid 9k/m for a year (Before that I got 7k at the same company). The next scheduled increases my manager told me that he fought for a salary adjustment for me. Since I started working there as a junior Front End developer 3 years before (3 years experience). I got a 2k increase and they got a months notice.

Moved to corporate and and being paid MUCH more now with a lot of benefits. Can't be happier.

Don't burn any bridges, ever. You worked hard where you are now and gained the experience required to move on. You couldn't of done it without them (Even if they treat you like crap). Thanks them and move on. PHP developers shouldn't be getting less than Marikana Miners.

rrh

Expert Member

I agree

Bona Botse

A little insight goes a long way

Sounds like you've reached a glass ceiling at that company. Think about it, what can they promote you to? Time to look for another job.

5 years experience at the same company.
Still junior
Coldfusion development
Sql analyst
Integration expert.

14k ctc.
5 years and still junior? Why's that? Approach your bosses or move on.

axon1988

This is much more than I get paid... anybody want to hire a software tester / graphics designer / Support manager / unicorn for that salary?

Priapus

Executive Member
Best thing for developers is to not stay at the same company for more than a year or two. Get the experience and apply for another job. If you think that the company you work for will adjust your salary based on your experience (After you've been employed there for a while), you are sadly mistaken.

I disagree. My current company pays accordingly and we have performance reviews a few times a year, which determines what increases / bonus we get the end of the year (If any, depending on your performance rating ). Granted not all companies are like this.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Nee *** man I earned more than that almost 13 years ago starting out with no experience and virtually no credentials an not even in development but just doing general IT support.

I can point you to easy as pie desktop support jobs now that will pay just about double that.

Gezza

Expert Member
I disagree. My current company pays accordingly and we have performance reviews a few times a year, which determines what increases / bonus we get the end of the year (If any, depending on your performance rating ). Granted not all companies are like this.

Agencies are mostly quite bad with their salaries. A few good ones around where you will be paid accordingly.