Bachelor degrees with the highest salary potential

deweyzeph

Executive Member
How can a BCom degree be below a BEd, general BSc and BTech? I can't believe that.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
How can a BCom degree be below a BEd, general BSc and BTech? I can't believe that.
Its the starting salary. BComs (even stuff like Accounting) tend to start pretty low but catch up fast with raises.

BEd on the other hand isn't going in get much more than inflation raises.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
you can't really get a job with a bcomm, you need a post grad with it, thats my view atleast

There are many software developers, marketing analysts, hr professionals, project managers, IT architects, etc who might disagree. The only BCom streams that require post graduate qualifications to legally practice are accounting and law. Obviously streams like statistics and economics lend themselves more to further postgraduate study too.

saturnz

Honorary Master
There are many software developers, marketing analysts, hr professionals, project managers, IT architects, etc who might disagree. The only BCom streams that require post graduate qualifications to legally practice are accounting and law. Obviously streams like statistics and economics lend themselves more to further postgraduate study too.

agreed, I was thinking stats, accounting and economics

sure other fields may have different outcomes

Jakes147

Expert Member
Every field is represented by a professional person and then computer engineering:
Hacker-coder-developer-software-programmer-alphanumeric-matrix.jpg :erm:

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Engineering is at honours level, so you cannot compare it to other Bachelors degrees.

system32

Expert Member
Bachelor degrees with the highest salary potential

The latest Payscale statistics reveal which Bachelor degrees will give graduates the best chance of earning a big salary.
@Kevin, Please include what people earn after working for a few years.

Most of the the directors of JSE listed companies are Bcom Chartered accountants.
See Chartered accountants dominate boards of JSE’s biggest listings
https://www.saica.co.za/News/NewsAr...d/695/itemid/2916/language/en-ZA/Default.aspx
Directors can earn millions in share options.
Search "sens dealings in securities by directors"

Sodan

Expert Member
Every field is represented by a professional person and then computer engineering:
View attachment 335719 :erm:

Yeah, that's why I'll rather consider myself to be in the "Computer Science and Mathematics" category :love:
Also, I did first year Physics. Do you think that's enough to get Ms Physics' interest?

saturnz

Honorary Master
@Kevin, Please include what people earn after working for a few years.

Most of the the directors of JSE listed companies are Bcom Chartered accountants.
See Chartered accountants dominate boards of JSE’s biggest listings
https://www.saica.co.za/News/NewsAr...d/695/itemid/2916/language/en-ZA/Default.aspx
Directors can earn millions in share options.
Search "sens dealings in securities by directors"

CAs have post grad qualifications, the article refers just to your first degree.

StellenboschStudent

Expert Member
This is very scary, less than R20k for an engineer? Granted you don't know a whole lot straight out of varsity, but is tough going!
Its no wonder so many people are leaving SA... Plus everything is becoming increasingly more expensive, you have to pay for medical (R1000), insurance (R500), rent (R5000)... After all deductions you maybe have R8000 or so left? Tough...

krycor

Honorary Master
This is very scary, less than R20k for an engineer? Granted you don't know a whole lot straight out of varsity, but is tough going!
Its no wonder so many people are leaving SA... Plus everything is becoming increasingly more expensive, you have to pay for medical (R1000), insurance (R500), rent (R5000)... After all deductions you maybe have R8000 or so left? Tough...

ROFL.. if an engineer starts career in Cpt its very likely they start at 12-15k, heck post 2008 that is more the norm unless global company in IT and then maybe 18-24k if with a large company. I found the mention of telecoms a bit wrong.. very wrong. The telecoms rollout need era for engineers is over so you chances are very limited and then you will likely be doing IT related stuff in telecoms.

system32

Expert Member
CAs have post grad qualifications, the article refers just to your first degree.
The point I was making, was that if you want to earn "real" money, you should look at the long picture.
Sure you might earn more initially doing BSc Engineering or BSc Computer Science, but a few years later...
eg. R19,069pm as an engineer is nothing compared what directors of JSE listed companies earn in share options.

saturnz

Honorary Master
The point I was making, was that if you want to earn "real" money, you should look at the long picture.
Sure you might earn more initially doing BSc Engineering or BSc Computer Science, but a few years later...
eg. R19,069pm as an engineer is nothing compared what directors of JSE listed companies earn in share options.

If you just have a bcomm acc you will always struggle against those who have post grad qualifications, the same goes for stats and ecos.

The point you are trying to make has already been clearly made by a different poster.

dlk001

Executive Member
My engineering starting salary (Net Income) was R4000. From that I had to pay R1700 rent, electricity, groceries, monthly expenses. I developed a salary forecast to next 10yrs and realized I was not going to cope. Twice I wanted to change careers. I even did an MCSE to change to IT.

Luckily with the right mentorship, hard work, an MSc degree, professional registration and 3 job changes, I'm well above that salary forecast. Salary will always follow Expertise and Experience. I have seen a lot of people who chase after higher salaries. They only end up with job Experience and little Expertise.

Last edited: