Agreed on the Asus support, heard some horror stories plus downloading anything from their site is an exercise in frustration! Thankfully I've never had to deal with their technical support. Most problems I've had were fixed by a BIOS update. Gigabyte's more recent boards are pretty much equal with Asus in terms of features and performance so in future the better technical support may swing my money their way.
Also Tyan++
Never had problems with ASUS, there was some minor bugs on some boards but usually a Bios update fixed it. Some that was not fixed was livable, like some boards with SiS chips (Now prevent them when possible)
Main thing for me if someone brings an OLD PC with Asus board I still get support on their site. Never dealt with them directly as it was practically never required. I did get responses from their forum, although it took time. Asus is a huge corporate conglomerate probably receiving millions if e-mails daily so how can you beach if they miss your poor e-mail. They just do not have the time and why should they with a well functioning support page. If the problem that bugs you was so predominant then there definitely will be thousands with the same problem and you will find it on the net and there will be an updated Bios to fix it. If Asus had to "fix" everyones minor issue there would not be an ASUS.