Best provider for Hosted Windows Server in the Cloud

Chicarito

It will run a MS SQL database, with around 5 RDP users at a time. So dont think will require that high a spec machine. It is just basic processing of accounting information. So possible 6 CPU, 32GB memory and around 300GB of storage.. As a minimum..
Hi SPX83,

I personally use Asphostportal shared hosting plan, this provider offer various windows cloud server plan, I believe that you might check them out. So far, I am happy with them and never experience serious issue with them. Or you can also use Azure, but I have tried in the past, for me they are very expensive if I compare with Asphostportal plan. Moreover if you are using MSSQL server, wow.... you will get shocked with your billing.

Bobbin

Executive Member
I’m just checking to see if your friend managed to find a suitable provider as we’re going live tomorrow with our Windows VPS offering

Out of interest, how are you guys handling remote access and also RDS CAL's? Or is this not intended to be used as an end-user multi-session sort of thing? Do you publish RDP port or access via a portal somewhere? And does it support workgroup server with per device RDS CAL's (If allowed by MS)?

So for Azure there's 4 general options I'm aware of for working from home end-users remoting into a multi-session Windows instance:

1. Publish RDP publicly (Not secure). Needs per user RDS CAL's plus AD environment :(
Side Note: You can however improve security via NSG rules (If possible) or implement 2FA with Duo or changing the RDP port etc. But some of this and other options I forget right now requires constant maintenance, not something you can always hand over to a business once implemented.

2. Access RDP via P2S or S2S VPN Gateway and don't publish RDP publicly. Not always possible though. Added costs. Still need all those licenses and AD etc.

3. Use WVD. Needs AD + AAD environment :( Also needs Business Premium licensing or higher AFAIK. Also needs per user RDS CAL's if using Windows Server 2019 (I think Win 10 multi-session option is exempt from this).

4. Use Azure Bastion. Same requirements as above AFAIK (Particularly for multi-session), plus not a particularly attractive way to navigate to the login for an end user. Plus no remote printing or file copy support.

I feel like user access to a Windows Server/Instance via remote desktop in Azure is such a bloody pain and made unnecessarily more difficult than it should, especially for smaller businesses/implementations. Not sure if anyone shares this sentiment. I'm actually really frustrated by this.

Customer calls: Can we have a single dedicated server in Azure for only 5 users to connect to.
Me: Sure, here's a quote for TWO servers (AD + App) plus this plus this plus that.
Customer: WTF? o_O

Side Note: (You can get away with 1 sever + Azure AD DS in some cases though, at least I think - haven't tested as I can't lab this stuff without another credit card lol Mine's maxed out for trials)

And besides the access methods, it's mainly because MS insists on per user RDS CAL's in Azure that inflates the cost (Subscription based one, with few exceptions I believe)

Last edited:

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
Out of interest, how are you guys handling remote access and also RDS CAL's? Or is this not intended to be used as an end-user multi-session sort of thing? Do you publish RDP port or access via a portal somewhere? And does it support workgroup server with per device RDS CAL's (If allowed by MS)?

So for Azure there's 4 general options I'm aware of for working from home end-users remoting into a multi-session Windows instance:
We've designed the service to be as accessible as possible with the initial deploy allowing RDP from anywhere how ever this can be managed and locked down firewall that is accessible from within the client service area.

There are predefined rules in place to help clients get started with the firewall, and work on them and implement as they see fit.

Additional cals can be purchased by requesting them via support and we'll get those added to the site for order along with SQL Web Edition.