Best router for access control from Android phone

Verde

I currently use a Zyxel VMG1312-B10D router with my Telkom fibre connection.
I can't find any decent compatible parental control apps for this router.
I am also struggling to set time limits for selected connected devices using the web interface - device connectivity is not restored once time limit elapses.

I need recommendations for routers that would satisfy my needs:
-Compatible with my Telkom fibre installation
-User friendly, reliable Android app to control access and for parental control available
-Easy to disconnect and reconnect selected devices from phone
-Time can be set for selected devices to cut connectivity, and then automatically reconnect at a chosen time.
-Content restriction settings to be applied to selected devices would be a nice to have.

Jimmy-Z

The Asus router app is awesome, i cant remember when I actually had to log in via the web page to change something or check the traffic stats. It does pretty much everything you can do from the web interface. Of course, you will need a compatible Asus router. I'm still using my DSL-AC68u from my DSL days.

carstensdj

Expert Member
I'm going to go on a whim here and suggest looking at the Ubiquiti range of routers. I've used their Nanobeams and Access Points on numerous occasions and really like how well everything works, how easy it is to setup and the fact that there's ways of monitoring and controlling things on them, remotely. I've not used a router from them but would imagine that it can do exactly what you need. I'd speak to someone at Scoop or Miro regarding them if I were you.

PsyWulf

Executive Member
Mikrotik app has a section for Kid control with timetable and speedlimiting for access based on Mac address

Combine with Dns forwarding to Cisco's umbrella and you can block a frequently updated list of websites/categories too

Verde

Tp-link with the tether app.
Thanks.
Had a look at the features listed on the play store. It does seem like the best app I have seen. Just not sure how easy it will be to bump a device off when needed, and then reconnect it later from the app. This is the key feature I need.

Do you think this router would work well with my Telkom fibre setup connected to the ONT:
https://www.loot.co.za/product/tp-link-archer-c6-ac1200-wireless-gigabit-router/dmjd-5824-g760

I need the wifi capabilities of the router for the upstairs area of my house, downstairs I have an AP connected to the upstairs router with an ethernet cable.

Verde

The Asus router app is awesome, i cant remember when I actually had to log in via the web page to change something or check the traffic stats. It does pretty much everything you can do from the web interface. Of course, you will need a compatible Asus router. I'm still using my DSL-AC68u from my DSL days.
Is it easy to bump a device off the network temporarily and then reconnect them again later via the app?

Verde

I'm going to go on a whim here and suggest looking at the Ubiquiti range of routers. I've used their Nanobeams and Access Points on numerous occasions and really like how well everything works, how easy it is to setup and the fact that there's ways of monitoring and controlling things on them, remotely. I've not used a router from them but would imagine that it can do exactly what you need. I'd speak to someone at Scoop or Miro regarding them if I were you.
I would love to use a Ubiquiti router and APs for my home setup, but I do they have an app that allows me to disconnect and reconnect devices from my phone with little hassle.

Jimmy-Z

Is it easy to bump a device off the network temporarily and then reconnect them again later via the app?
Yup, if you enable mac filtering, you can block or enable a connection as you see fit. It's something I've only played around with once

randburgred

I suppose it will depend on what you are prepared to pay I have the Tenda Nova MW 6 It is a 3 unit mesh net work system The app that controls the system allows you to group devices that connect to it and to black list as and when - Apart from the master the slaves only need electricity and it is one wifi network Best money spent

panayi

Mikrotik app has a section for Kid control with timetable and speedlimiting for access based on Mac address

Combine with Dns forwarding to Cisco's umbrella and you can block a frequently updated list of websites/categories too
Agree - the kid control is great. I have also connected to OpenDNS (aka Cisco Umbrella).
I am using 2 Mikrotik routers connected via powerline adapters. This allows you to use CapsMan setup to manage the hand over from one AP to the other.
You also get some discount on the routers from DBG as a MyBB member....
Mikrotik also has a android app that you can adjust settings etc on the routers

PsyWulf

Executive Member
I had the powerline adapters from a while back..... and needed the extra LAN points on the slave AP for TV, XBox, etc. Also, because they are the same units, have kind of a fall over solution....
Aye same,also have a few spares from old stuff

Looks like the Powerline products came out this December,manageable with Capsman even,so definitely on my to-buy

panayi

I have that ASUS software, love it. I can limit each and every device, create groups, age restrict family members... Go ASUS! my particular router is the RT-AC87U
Asus RT-AC87U = ~R3600 (takealot)
Mikrotik hAP ac² = ~R1000 (uniterm direct)

Could get 2 mikrotiks, plus powerline adapters instead of the Asus and still have change.... and ability to set up roaming, etc

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
Thanks.
Had a look at the features listed on the play store. It does seem like the best app I have seen. Just not sure how easy it will be to bump a device off when needed, and then reconnect it later from the app. This is the key feature I need.

Do you think this router would work well with my Telkom fibre setup connected to the ONT:
https://www.loot.co.za/product/tp-link-archer-c6-ac1200-wireless-gigabit-router/dmjd-5824-g760

I need the wifi capabilities of the router for the upstairs area of my house, downstairs I have an AP connected to the upstairs router with an ethernet cable.
Am not sure on the bumping. I was looking at mikrotik and ubiquity security gateway for a remote office in Angola. The problem was the guys at the remote office would have struggled with configuration.

I had a tp-link lying around, so just sent it to them with the link to tether app. They're happy with it

Verde

Thanks for all the help.
So far from watching Youtube videos of the various manufacturer's apps I like Asus and Linksys the best for my needs.