Best Smartphone for Photography

Tcyte

With many people getting interested into Smartphone photography, there has been a lot of arguments as to which smartphone is the best in terms of photography. The latest iphone and Note 9 have both failed to beat the Huawei P20 Pro DXOMARK rating… I really wonder what these ratings are based on…and how far true is that? Any thoughts.....

DXOMARK Mobile Photography rating

https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/

calypso

Expert Member
Across the board, most believe the Google Pixel's to take the best pics. But its all pretty close at the top of the food chain.

newby_investor

Expert Member
With many people getting interested into Smartphone photography, there has been a lot of arguments as to which smartphone is the best in terms of photography. The latest iphone and Note 9 have both failed to beat the Huawei P20 Pro DXOMARK rating… I really wonder what these ratings are based on…and how far true is that? Any thoughts.....

DXOMARK Mobile Photography rating

https://www.dxomark.com/category/mobile-reviews/
Do Huawei pay you for all the plugging you do?

Dan C

Honorary Master
Yeah, I'm not convinced there's much of anything between the flagships.

Of course for the money you'd spend on one you could actually buy a camera...
It looks odd when I carry my camera in my front pocket. Especially when I zoom in

gfmalan

Expert Member
The best camera is the one that you have with you, my Canon is 99% at home.

Maybe you can also add what combination of phone and lens kit would give you best of both.

Tcyte

The best camera is the one that you have with you, my Canon is 99% at home.

Maybe you can also add what combination of phone and lens kit would give you best of both.
Personally I think the advantage of a smartphone is the convenience... That makes it easier to shoot, edit and share but you compromise the quality of the images...

Verbtech

Yeah, I'm not convinced there's much of anything between the flagships.

I'd still opt for buying a phone with the money. Coz not only are you getting a good camera, you're getting all the other functions as well.

Think of it as having a camera that can call, send emails, text messages, play games on etc...

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I'd still opt for buying a phone with the money. Coz not only are you getting a good camera, you're getting all the other functions as well.

Think of it as having a camera that can call, send emails, text messages, play games on etc...
You mean like the phone he already owns?

Last edited:

Tcyte

I think depending on how much you are into photography... I can only use my phone for composition.. But when it comes to actual shooting.... :D I use the real deal

saor

Honorary Master
Buy a f***ing camera
If you always have your phone on you it's nice to be able to shoot decent pics with it. For 'buy a camera' to be a solution, they'd have to carry their camera around with them as much as they do their phone, which nobody does. A decent camera on a phone is probably more important than most criteria when I'm looking at new phones now.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
If you always have your phone on you it's nice to be able to shoot decent pics with it. For 'buy a camera' to be a solution, they'd have to carry their camera around with them as much as they do their phone, which nobody does. A decent camera on a phone is probably more important than most criteria when I'm looking at new phones now.
I'm not saying having a smartphone with a decent camera isn't nice, especially when it comes to an impromptu snapshot of your meal so you can Instagram it right away... but for someone with an interest in photography a camera is better.

My photo comparison above was a real world example - I had both my phone and camera with me.

saor

Honorary Master
but for someone with an interest in photography a camera is better.
Maybe they already have a decent camera? Obviously a proper camera is better than a phone camera, but if I'm buying a phone & have an interest in photography I'd probably also ask a similar question. They're not asking which is better.