Best TV box?

agentrfr

Expert Member
Does the Chrome Cast Ultra not support this?

But for Audiophiles I would agree, That leaves us with 99.5% of the population who IMO does not need a TV box if your TV is smart & you have an android cellphone.
Technically yes, but the chromecast is designed as a platform to decode an HTTP(s) stream. In order for your phone or tablet to mirror on the chromecast, your device must first transcode the video and audio on the screen and host that it such that the chromecast may display it. Your phone/tablet will not be able to do anything more than very basic AVC encoding on the order of 5mbps, most of which would be regualr I frame intervals. Similar story for the audio...

It's all dandy for youtube or netflix to host video files as https streams that have been pre-encoded at very high bitrates and things like HDR what with all the I, P and B frames you could ever want, but simply mirroring a phone or tablet screen would not get you more than AVC 8 bit 4:2:0 and comparitively dreadful regular I frame to 59 P frames at low bitrates.

If you're going to spend money on a fancy 4k OLED or better screen (read HDMI2.1 with VRR, 500 nits 25% window and >95% P3 colour space) in 2021, you want to have a way of natively displaying video/audio without any transcoding. Hence a shield or NUC (or appleTV if that floats your boat)

AdrianH

Expert Member
Personal preference for me, TELKOM LIT, its nothing really fancy but supports everything and hasnt let me down yet, been using it for 2 years
Only issue I have is HDR is buggered on Amazon Prime ever since the update to Android TV 9

Other than that, works well.

carnagelan

I bough the Xiaomi mibox S last month and very happy with it. The only issue i have is when playing a movie with bluetooth sound. It is not synced with the lip movement. I need to run an aux cable

Lupus

Honorary Master
I bough the Xiaomi mibox S last month and very happy with it. The only issue i have is when playing a movie with bluetooth sound. It is not synced with the lip movement. I need to run an aux cable
That's an issue with Bluetooth 4 devices, if I use my Bluetooth 5 headset it's fine

Herr der Verboten

Executive Member
That's an issue with Bluetooth 4 devices, if I use my Bluetooth 5 headset it's fine
It's an issue with all bt unless it supports a low latency transmission and receive on both ends e.g. aptx ll. However you can normally set the offset on the smart device to 'fix' it.

Ouballie2

Technically yes, but the chromecast is designed as a platform to decode an HTTP(s) stream. In order for your phone or tablet to mirror on the chromecast, your device must first transcode the video and audio on the screen and host that it such that the chromecast may display it. Your phone/tablet will not be able to do anything more than very basic AVC encoding on the order of 5mbps, most of which would be regualr I frame intervals. Similar story for the audio...

It's all dandy for youtube or netflix to host video files as https streams that have been pre-encoded at very high bitrates and things like HDR what with all the I, P and B frames you could ever want, but simply mirroring a phone or tablet screen would not get you more than AVC 8 bit 4:2:0 and comparitively dreadful regular I frame to 59 P frames at low bitrates.

If you're going to spend money on a fancy 4k OLED or better screen (read HDMI2.1 with VRR, 500 nits 25% window and >95% P3 colour space) in 2021, you want to have a way of natively displaying video/audio without any transcoding. Hence a shield or NUC (or appleTV if that floats your boat)

You tried the wrong chromecast.

Lupus

Honorary Master
It's an issue with all bt unless it supports a low latency transmission and receive on both ends e.g. aptx ll. However you can normally set the offset on the smart device to 'fix' it.
Not had it on any of my bt5 devices.