• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Best VM for windows?

garyc

Expert Member
Have ended up settling on VirtualBox for this. In the past I had some problems with the free version of VMware regarding the quality and scheduling of their Linux support. Maybe they are OK these days, but VirtualBox is doing everything well.

beans100

Executive Member
Doesn't work - Windows re-enables it shortly afterwards. Tried a few times.
Strange, works for me. I only enable to update, like 2 times a year. Last time, was last month. I disabled it after and it's still disabled.

cpu.

Expert Member
Strange, works for me. I only enable to update, like 2 times a year. Last time, was last month. I disabled it after and it's still disabled.
Mine is the same as OP and auto enables the service. Do you have 10 Pro or Home?

Totempole

Expert Member
I don't know why, but VMWare seems miles ahead of VirtualBox in terms of performance, at least for what I use it for.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
VirtualBox is fine and is easy to use.

What is your qualm about the forced Windows updates though?
*Waking up at 2am in the morning and having to wait for windows... various options are just ignored by Microsoft, schedules are ignored, etc.

*I usually leave quite a bit open, and sometimes unsaved as its a work in progress - only to come in and find the PC waiting for my logon.

*Two months in a row now - I've almost reached my ISP cap - making sure nothing is downloading in the last 2-3 days of the month - only to find my cap gone thanks to updates.

beans100

Executive Member
VirtualBox is fine and is easy to use.

What is your qualm about the forced Windows updates though?
I had it back then, where you're in the middle of a game or code or something important, and it just suddenly start shutting down to update. Without any warning or choice. Don't know how aggressive it is these days.

schuits

Docker is indeed a container and not a VM.

However I misread the OP's post. I thought he was looking to run Ubuntu on Windows, which is possible using docker, whether advisable or not is a different subject.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Docker is indeed a container and not a VM.

However I misread the OP's post. I thought he was looking to run Ubuntu on Windows, which is possible using docker, whether advisable or not is a different subject.
The title specifically states VM though and not a container? Reading through the posts, at no point do I see where using docker fulfills his use case?
That's why I'm asking, curious as to why you suggest it.

whatwhat

Executive Member
*Waking up at 2am in the morning and having to wait for windows... various options are just ignored by Microsoft, schedules are ignored, etc.

*I usually leave quite a bit open, and sometimes unsaved as its a work in progress - only to come in and find the PC waiting for my logon.

*Two months in a row now - I've almost reached my ISP cap - making sure nothing is downloading in the last 2-3 days of the month - only to find my cap gone thanks to updates.
Just set your network connection in Windows as a metered connection, and it won't auto download all the updates.

Also, when I started to learn Ubuntu I just used the shell on Windows to install Ubuntu. With the last update you just get it from the Windows Store. Much easier for people that want to learn Unix and still stay in Windows.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Just set your network connection in Windows as a metered connection, and it won't auto download all the updates.
Doesn't work. It still downloads "critical" updates. Microsoft basically do what they want with the updates.

I've tried just about all the "fixes" - metered connection, changing gpo's, registry hacks, disabling services, etc.

Updates always come back.