Betamax video & 8mm projector

web_dude

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 23, 2012
Messages
488
Reaction score
2
Location
Joburg
Hi,

Anybody still owns a Betamax machine and a 8mm projector???

I want to recover my old family tapes (before they go froth with the years). I had a Beta machine, but is dead. Also the 8mm projector is dead (no bulb and some mechanism is faulty).

So... if anybody out there still have one of these, i would like to rent (or borrow) the equipment so I can digitalize the old family stuff.

I don't want to buy the equipment, I suppose in a week time I should be finish converting the old videos.

I'm in Joburg by the way and obviously I would pick up and return (any place around GP).

PM or email to hello (at) webtailor.co.za
 
I don't see how a working projector is gonna help you. You need a film scanner for the 8mm stuff.
 
I know a guy in pta that can help
Not sure where you are...
 
Im in joburg and i have no issues travelling around.

The betamax should be easy to connect to PC with video capturer.
The 8mm video is a problem. The easy way to do it is to screen the reel and capture the video. Obviuosly is a try&test process trying to get the best quality. Then after do a cleanup/cut with Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.

The 8mm are from the 60's without audio. Now the main problem is that i have to watch the film/reels to decide what is worth digitalize and what is not. Same with the betamax tapes. They haven't been played for the last 10 or 15 years.

The film scanners available from USA are quite expensive. The cheapest go for 1,500 us dollars (http://www.moviestuff.tv/wp_xp.html) and others go for 2,500/3,000 USD.

And I think the films may not be 'that valuable' to spend that much.
 
The film is usually quite precious - no recording for hours and hours, cos the film cost money.

If you record from the screen, you're going to have the problem of different frame rates. The film will be running at either 18 or 24 frames per second, and you will be capturing at 25 fps most likely. You'll get a reduction in quality, as each target frame would consist of a mixture of different source frames.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X