I dont know whether anyone can help, there MUST have been people in similar situation? A few years ago when they were rolling out fibre optic in my neighbourhood, and switched me over from copper, I noticed that my dialup connection speed dropped from 33.6k to 28.8k. I phoned, and moaned to telkom about the echo that I could now hear on the telephone line, and also explained that I was now getting an inferior Internet connection. I eventually spoke to a technician who told me that it was due to the fibre, and that it is not as clean as copper. I asked whether he could put me back onto copper, which he did, and I was happy...... I was happy for about 2 years or so......until last week.
I now have a 56K modem (US Robotics), and up until last week could connect at 45.2K or 49.5K. I wasnt too bothered about trying to figure out why I couldnt get the full 56K out of the box (anyone know why?). Anyway, towards the end of last week, I couldnt even connect to the Internet....wayyyyy too much static and noise on the line. So I phone Telkom, and tell them about the problem. They tell me someone will attend to it. Friday afternoon I try again, and the line is crystal clear (still only connect at 49.5K), so I phone to thank them for sorting it out. The guy I speak to tells me they were working on it on Friday, but werent finished yet, and would finish the next day. Saturday afternoon, and the line's worse than it was originally. I phone on Monday morning and they tell me that they closed the call unresolved because they couldnt get hold of me.
They reopen the call, and now my line is clear, free of static, but back with that echo. ie, they've just put me onto Fibre Optic again. My connection speed is not 33.6 if I'm lucky, but more often 31.2K. I phoned Telkom last night and asked them to ask the technician that attended to the call to phone me, and I'm still waiting.
Surely FibreOptic should be able to support a connection of 56K ? Surely there are others in the Randburg/Craighall area who have had similar problems, but have then been able to connect to internet at 56K (over Fibre Optic) ? I have tried both MWEBs and ISs connection POPs, which should be capable of accepting a 56K connection.
any ideas?