Better fibre modem-router than TP-Link?

Neville

I have a TP-Link Archer C20 modem-router and looking to replace it with something a bit more stable. This is the standard device many ISP's seem to be giving out as their "free" modem but there is some truth in the old saying of "nothing is for free"... My previous ISP sent me a replacement after we jumped through all the hoops to prove nothing was wrong with the fiber line. New ISP (since we moved house) gave us the same dreaded device. Sigh!

I can't handle the interruptions - I'm a software dev and work online the whole day. We're not heavy users as a 2 person family but I need stability. It can also be a real bummer having to reboot in the middle of a EUFA semi-final!!! ...or a live Zoom meeting with your team... etc...

Any suggestions what would be a good replacement that won't need rebooting several times a day?

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I have a TP-Link Archer C20 modem-router and looking to replace it with something a bit more stable. This is the standard device many ISP's seem to be giving out as their "free" modem but there is some truth in the old saying of "nothing is for free"... My previous ISP sent me a replacement after we jumped through all the hoops to prove nothing was wrong with the fiber line. New ISP (since we moved house) gave us the same dreaded device. Sigh!

I can't handle the interruptions - I'm a software dev and work online the whole day. We're not heavy users as a 2 person family but I need stability. It can also be a real bummer having to reboot in the middle of a EUFA semi-final!!! ...or a live Zoom meeting with your team... etc...

Any suggestions what would be a good replacement that won't need rebooting several times a day?

What is your budget, do you need Wi-Fi 6 (AX) or will AC do fine. How much range do you need? Are the devices around walls etc.

Neville

Its a normal South African 3 bedroom, brick house, not huge. I'm not an online gamer, just need stable connections. Budget is not endless but cheap is not working out so far. No idea what Wi-Fi 6 is. We connect 2 iPhones, 2 laptops, Xbox One S and two Echo Dots to give you an idea. Oh, and about 3 times a year we use the wi-fi printer :-D
The current router is downstairs, more or less in the middle of the house. Upstairs is a wooden mezzanine floor and so far I've not needed to use any extenders to have coverage upstairs.

PS - Just read up on Wifi 6 and it sounds like a good idea. Adding more home automation devices so having more channels to connect to sounds advisable.

Last edited:

Koosvanwyk

If you are having the same issue or different routers (albeit the same make an model) the issue is likely not the router.

The C20 is actually decent for a "cheaper" router.
Are you using the 2.4Ghz band or the 5Ghz band, or both and are the results the same.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
If you are having the same issue or different routers (albeit the same make an model) the issue is likely not the router.

Are you using the 2.4Ghz band or the 5Ghz band, or both and are the results the same.
Agree with this, we send literally thousands of C20s into the field and we do replace some due to being iffy but not many. If you have an ongoing issue either it's really bad luck or it's the environment. Which part isn't stable? I presume the wireless part?

Neville

Agree with this, we send literally thousands of C20s into the field and we do replace some due to being iffy but not many. If you have an ongoing issue either it's really bad luck or it's the environment. Which part isn't stable? I presume the wireless part?
Cool Ideas actually replaced one of my C20's about a year ago. So I have to beg to differ. It drops internet connection despite the internet LED being green on the C20, wifi signal strong. Reboot the router and the internet connection comes back, typically after a 2nd or 3rd reboot. The fibre point's connection remain stable. Rarely do I need to reboot that so I'm leaning towards the C20 as the culprit. Had the same issue before. I think they ok for casual use like watch TV after work, but if you're working online the whole day AND then still continue usage into the night, it gets too much.

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep
Cool Ideas actually replaced one of my C20's about a year ago. So I have to beg to differ. It drops internet connection despite the internet LED being green on the C20, wifi signal strong. Reboot the router and the internet connection comes back, typically after a 2nd or 3rd reboot. The fibre point's connection remain stable. Rarely do I need to reboot that so I'm leaning towards the C20 as the culprit. Had the same issue before. I think they ok for casual use like watch TV after work, but if you're working online the whole day AND then still continue usage into the night, it gets too much.
Yes so as I mentioned there are cases but not many, typically if two new devices have issues it could still be environment related.

Neville

On my previous C20 I could use both. Seems the current one I have is even worst. Besides it loosing internet connection the 5Ghz channel is so weak it is unusable.

Neville

Yes so as I mentioned there are cases but not many, typically if two new devices have issues it could still be environment related.
We had similar issues with a TP-Link router at the office and so did one of my colleagues at is house. Not sure pin four different locations down all to "environmental issues".

My original question still stands: what would be a better router than a TP-Link C20?

netstrider

Expert Member
We had similar issues with a TP-Link router at the office and so did one of my colleagues at is house. Not sure pin four different locations down all to "environmental issues".

My original question still stands: what would be a better router than a TP-Link C20?
If you don't mind something more complex I hear Mikrotik is the way to go. Possibly that in conjunction with a Ubiqiuti AP or two.

powermzii

Expert Member
If you don't mind something more complex I hear Mikrotik is the way to go. Possibly that in conjunction with a Ubiqiuti AP or two.
Mikrotiks are really really good... learning curve can be a mission though. And yes generally it's better to separate your routing from your WiFi.

Budget is always a consideration though

netstrider

Expert Member
Mikrotiks are really really good... learning curve can be a mission though. And yes generally it's better to separate your routing from your WiFi.

Budget is always a consideration though
Yes, budget is a consideration but if you're unhappy about free ISP routers and consumer-grade routers in general then your only option is to spend a bit more.

There are very expensive consumer-grade ASUS routers out there as well. I don't know the ASUS routers myself so don't know if the exorbitant prices are justified.

powermzii

Expert Member
Yes, budget is a consideration but if you're unhappy about free ISP routers and consumer-grade routers in general then your only option is to spend a bit more.

There are very expensive consumer-grade ASUS routers out there as well. I don't know the ASUS routers myself so don't know if the exorbitant prices are justified.
The ones with AI Mesh are apparently very good and some of them even come with Wifi6 but yes you do have to spend a little more to get better performance

PBCool

Cool Ideas
Company Rep

And the thousands upon thousands we have in the field work perfectly fine as well? A "better" router is a difficult answer to give, but as mentioned typically it's budget related. If it is better wireless coverage and throughput then the more radios the better. Which then the advice is additional access points cabled into the router.

I personally wouldn't recommend a Mikrotik for your typical user, this is why they form a large amount of botnet devices on the internet as your typical user doesnt understand them.

Mr Smooth

Thanks. Dropped my details on their website and they have already given me a call. Wow!
Waiting for info on local dealers then will get some prices.
Looking at getting the Draytek as well. Please post prices here.

Neville

Looking at getting the Draytek as well. Please post prices here.
Got a quote for the Draytek Vigor2135AC for R3634 from ITS Computer Systems in Cape Town.

If I do change my router, I'm leaning towards the Ubiquiti Amplifi at this stage. You can get a router + an additional meshpoint for the same price as the single Draytek router minus the ugly antennas. And I probably don't need the add-on AP so the router alone is just under R2000.

Mr Smooth

Got a quote for the Draytek Vigor2135AC for R3634 from ITS Computer Systems in Cape Town.

If I do change my router, I'm leaning towards the Ubiquiti Amplifi at this stage. You can get a router + an additional meshpoint for the same price as the single Draytek router minus the ugly antennas. And I probably don't need the add-on AP so the router alone is just under R2000.

Thanks. I decided to go with a free router for now. Once I have funds will look at something better.