• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Black principal vs coloured principal

konfab

Honorary Master
Educators are appointed on the basis of qualification and experience.”
Coming from the South African government which promotes affirmative action?

LOL

semisane1987

Was posted in the racism thread.

I can see both sides points.
Racism thread Il???? Where can I fine it to throw in my two cents. I'm don't know some people may say I'm stupid, but I don't see any difference between blacks and coloureds. I think the only difference is the language and their culture/tradition.

I think the parents could have left the skin colour issue aside and came with better reasons.

crackersa

Honorary Master
Racism thread Il???? Where can I fine it to throw in my two cents. I'm don't know some people may say I'm stupid, but I don't see any difference between blacks and coloureds. I think the only difference is the language and their culture/tradition.

I think the parents could have left the skin colour issue aside and came with better reasons.
Search for racism thread. It's called that.

And i agree. And I don't think you are stupid. I can tell English is not your first language. Like it's not mine as well.

RokSwaab

Hmmm what I've noticed is that coloureds are the only race to be more openly racist or not necessarily racist, they are just extremely non-PC. Honestly, it sucks for the black guy but if a community prefers a principal of their own race, I can understand why and that goes for all races.

RokSwaab

For some reason, whites, blacks and indians always misunderstand coloureds and assume it's simply a black/white mix. Well it's not. Let me tell you something, the thing with coloureds, is that there's this weird race/culture overlap. For example, you get coloureds who lean more towards black or khoisan features (these are probably the image that whites and blacks have of coloureds I'd say) but you also get coloureds with strong southeast asian or european ancestry too. Why do you think coloured Muslims look different 99% of the time from non-Muslim coloureds? because there's strong levels of indian, malaysian and indonesian DNA. You get coloureds who could pass for latino if they went overseas. There's also the physical characteristics and skin tone. You get plenty of coloureds who have a more African looking nose for example but many also have a European looking nose. Likewise, you get coloureds with coily hair or straight hair too. Above all though, coloureds still identify as coloureds. I asked myself one day when I thought about someone I knew. I thought how is it that this person who would completely pass for black in America still identifies and is seen as coloured? How is it that someone who could pass for white in another country still identifies and is seen as coloured? The same goes for other races too.

My point is the homogenous races look at these things in a bit of an absolute lens but coloureds do not. Like I said, it's this weird race/culture overlap that we have. Coloureds have many issues such as the strong gangster culture but I feel that racially we are blind to each other but above all it shows how culture plays a larger impact than race.

If my post offended anyone, bear in mind, this was not meant to be triggering, I was just speaking about these things in absolute terms.

Method

Executive Member
I can see both sides, but really, it shouldn't be an issue to have a principle of another race if he/she is fit for the job.

Just glad it's not a "white" school...

Nick333

Honorary Master

This is a confusing post. I'll take cracker's lead here and assume that the main problem here is that English is not your first language. It seems to me that it's perfectly obvious that the parents problem is the difference in language, culture and tradition and not skin colour. Again maybe it's because you're not expressing yourself clearly, but it seems as though your problem is not with racial distinctions, but that you think skin colour is more important than language, culture and tradition when making racial distinctions which strikes me as a one dimensional view at best.

Anyway, my opinion on the issue is that, irony of the government espousing meritocracy aside, while I admire the communities sense of cultural identity, it's a government school which puts it in the sphere of the greater, national culture as it were. In other words their kid's aren't there to learn how to be better coloureds, they're there to learn how to be better South Africans and better people in general. Good luck with that, btw.

Eti1

Expert Member
For some reason, whites, blacks and indians always misunderstand coloureds and assume it's simply a black/white mix. Well it's not. Let me tell you something, the thing with coloureds, is that there's this weird race/culture overlap. For example, you get coloureds who lean more towards black or khoisan features (these are probably the image that whites and blacks have of coloureds I'd say) but you also get coloureds with strong southeast asian or european ancestry too. Why do you think coloured Muslims look different 99% of the time from non-Muslim coloureds? because there's strong levels of indian, malaysian and indonesian DNA. You get coloureds who could pass for latino if they went overseas. There's also the physical characteristics and skin tone. You get plenty of coloureds who have a more African looking nose for example but many also have a European looking nose. Likewise, you get coloureds with coily hair or straight hair too. Above all though, coloureds still identify as coloureds. I asked myself one day when I thought about someone I knew. I thought how is it that this person who would completely pass for black in America still identifies and is seen as coloured? How is it that someone who could pass for white in another country still identifies and is seen as coloured? The same goes for other races too.

My point is the homogenous races look at these things in a bit of an absolute lens but coloureds do not. Like I said, it's this weird race/culture overlap that we have. Coloureds have many issues such as the strong gangster culture but I feel that racially we are blind to each other but above all it shows how culture plays a larger impact than race.

If my post offended anyone, bear in mind, this was not meant to be triggering, I was just speaking about these things in absolute terms.
Not offended, but intrigued by your post. You explain the ancestral and cultural differences between coloureds, then proceed to make sweeping pronouncements on how coloureds identify themselves, and how "we" do this and that. At least you acknowledge that you are speaking in absolute terms, although why you choose to put millions of people into a box is a little unclear.

From my side, you and the government may classify me as coloured, but I do not. And you don't have to either bra.