Blacklisted Device

Hi,

I bought a Samsung Phone for my Mum which after 8 months stopped working across all networks. It appears the original owner has decided to do a fraudulent insurance claim resulting in the blacklisting. Has anyone else had such an issue? any idea what my options are?

I have been to the police who say they don't know how to help me, They allowed me to create an affidavit which I took to MTN however they passed me onto "Pinnacle Marketing" as they may have been the insurers, however my attempts to explain the issue to them results in them asking me for my insurance policy number before they can assist.

Any advise is appreciated as I have run out of ideas.
Thanks

Hi,

I bought a Samsung Phone for my Mum which after 8 months stopped working across all networks. It appears the original owner has decided to do a fraudulent insurance claim resulting in the blacklisting. Has anyone else had such an issue? any idea what my options are?

I have been to the police who say they don't know how to help me, They allowed me to create an affidavit which I took to MTN however they passed me onto "Pinnacle Marketing" as they may have been the insurers, however my attempts to explain the issue to them results in them asking me for my insurance policy number before they can assist.

Any advise is appreciated as I have run out of ideas.
Thanks
Ask the police if you can open a case of fraud against the original owner. Alternatively small claims court?

I'm not a legal expert, just making a suggestion and you can check it out.

The experts will be along shortly with proper advice.

Gazbal

Expert Member
Do you still have details of previous owner/seller and proof of purchase. If you do, I suggest getting in contact with seller and explain you will take it further regarding insurance fraud unless he gets it unlocked or refunds you.

If you don’t, you could have trouble explaining possession of a lost/stolen phone (he said,she said). Also remember that the phone may not have been lawfully sold to you if still within that sellers contract period (I’m not saying that’s the case).

Lupus

Honorary Master
If he sold you a phone that was still on contract, this is the reason you don't buy contracted phones.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
If he sold you a phone that was still on contract, this is the reason you don't buy contracted phones.
There's nothing wrong with buying a phone that's on contract. Just have the seller sign a sale agreement that states he/she is selling the phone to you and take down their ID number, name etc. If they aren't willing to sign the agreement, walk away.

You can then use that as proof of ownership to unblock the phone or go to small claims court if it's ever blacklisted.

Lupus

Honorary Master
There's nothing wrong with buying a phone that's on contract. Just have the seller sign a sale agreement that states he/she is selling the phone to you and take down their ID number, name etc. If they aren't willing to sign the agreement, walk away.

You can then use that as proof of ownership to unblock the phone or go to small claims court if it's ever blacklisted.
That won't count as a proof of ownership as until the phone is paid off it's the providers. Small claim court might be your only avenue. But if they've not paid for the contract what chance is there you're going to get your money back?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

The phone isn’t theirs to transfer ownership of.

Same way you can’t sell a car that is still financed.