Blockchain video verification

newby_investor

Expert Member
So I'm going to go out on a limb here and talk about blockchain without any relevance to cryptocurrency.

I was thinking about the problem of deepfakes and how it relates to video evidence of things. We live in an age where photoshop can make us cautious about trusting photographic evidence, and these deepfake videos have the potential to do something like that with video.

Based on my hand-wavy understanding of how blockchains work, I thought it would be possible to have a web-connected camera insert a hash of the video it's just recorded into a blockchain ledger which could then be used to verify whether that video has been tampered with or not.

Does that make sense? Is there any value in this idea perhaps?

kanzen

You'd have to base it on the original upload which could potentially be the fake video. Seeing as most videos come from mobile phones it may be difficult to differentiate between that and an edited video. My 2c, you may take it for what it's worth.

me_

I don't see this as a blockchain solution. A far simpler solution would be for the camera manufacturers to issue each device with a non-exportable private certificate. The camera firmware could then sign all videos and photos. You could then verify the authenticity of any video or photo by verifying the signing certificate against the camera manufacturer root certificate public key. There's no internet requirement or anything.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I don't see this as a blockchain solution. A far simpler solution would be for the camera manufacturers to issue each device with a non-exportable private certificate. The camera firmware could then sign all videos and photos. You could then verify the authenticity of any video or photo by verifying the signing certificate against the camera manufacturer root certificate public key. There's no internet requirement or anything.
This actually makes more sense than my idea.