Book themed venue

Dee96

Expert Member
Hi all

One of our close friends is leaving SA by Q2 this year. She is a real book nerd and spends alot of time reading. I mean she took the libraries being closed for lockdown really hard.

I think she would enjoy a farewell dinner, between 5 and 10 people, in a place surrounded by books.

Do you know of anywhere that we could try in Johannesburg?

Thanks

|tera|

Master of Messengers
A place surrounded by books?
Are you for real?

Just buy her a proper Kindle and have dinner with her.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
I suggested the same thing but was out voted.

Something silly like a kindle isn't like a book but thanks
To be logical about it. There isn't cafes and bars and restaurants around with shelves filled with books.
None that I know of anyway.
Kindles are expensive. They aren't silly if you buy the correct ones. I'm not talking about a tablet.
Anyway. Hope you find something. Your sentiment is good and everyone would be happy to have friends like you.
Exclusive books has a Seattle coffee shop.
Damn. Just jogged my memory there.
Didn't even know they still existed.
Then again, I haven't been in a mall for years.
Thanks for the correction.

saor

Honorary Master
Print big posters with books on and stick all over the wall at home. Scatter some random books around. Nice warm lighting, maybe get a few old-style library lamps. Cook a nice meal & invite them over.

UrBaN963

Honorary Master
Scoobs is great. Not sure if it's still open or if there are other branches than the one in Monte.

As an avid reader I ca highly recommend a kindle, they really are pretty great.

Dee96

Expert Member
Scoobs is great. Not sure if it's still open or if there are other branches than the one in Monte.

As an avid reader I ca highly recommend a kindle, they really are pretty great.
I agree with the Kindle, for myself actually, but keeping my eyes open for a second hand one around the R1000 mark.

Let me know if you see one.

I will try Scoobs, Monte is central for most people

rocZA

Hi all

One of our close friends is leaving SA by Q2 this year. She is a real book nerd and spends alot of time reading. I mean she took the libraries being closed for lockdown really hard.

I think she would enjoy a farewell dinner, between 5 and 10 people, in a place surrounded by books.

Thanks
Exclusive books in hyde park corner mall has a restaurant inside - bit expensive but meets your description

newklear

Expert Member
Hi all

Thanks
Book cafe's used to be popular, some served more than just coffee. The nice ones I know of are all closed at the moment. I see you mentioned Skoobs Theatre already so good luck!

As a last resort, create a zoom call > settings > backround & filters > +(add image), eg:
Zoom_BG7_Sudy-jpg.jpeg