Boost Rain Signal

Dubes

Expert Member
Hi,

I thought I'd give Rain a test drive. I am outside their shown coverage area but I am on a hill so I've found with Cell C that even though I'm shown as not covered I am (and get good speeds).

Unfortunately this is not the case with Rain (looking to use it in my B315). It battles to find a server with speed tests and then I get 5Mbps, if lucky, and non-existent uploads....

My question is whether a booster aerial is likely to help or would it be a waste of money. Attached are images of the Rain coverage, my distance from the covered area as well as an elevation profile map. Unfortunately there is a "hump" preventing "line of sight". The elevation is exaggerated due to the scale.

Worth pursuing or just pay more for extra Cell C data?

Attachments

dotcat

Hi,

I thought I'd give Rain a test drive. I am outside their shown coverage area but I am on a hill so I've found with Cell C that even though I'm shown as not covered I am (and get good speeds).

Unfortunately this is not the case with Rain (looking to use it in my B315). It battles to find a server with speed tests and then I get 5Mbps, if lucky, and non-existent uploads....

My question is whether a booster aerial is likely to help or would it be a waste of money. Attached are images of the Rain coverage, my distance from the covered area as well as an elevation profile map. Unfortunately there is a "hump" preventing "line of sight". The elevation is exaggerated due to the scale.

Worth pursuing or just pay more for extra Cell C data?
I'm pretty sure if you point this in the direction of your nearest rain tower you should get decent signal.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/wireless-n...or-cpe.html?search_query=mikrotik&results=118

under_sky

Expert Member
Last edited:

Donald8

I was outside their coverage area too but I applied and it's working like a space shuttle to the moon.