Boost Rain Signal

Dubes

Expert Member
Hi,

I thought I'd give Rain a test drive. I am outside their shown coverage area but I am on a hill so I've found with Cell C that even though I'm shown as not covered I am (and get good speeds).

Unfortunately this is not the case with Rain (looking to use it in my B315). It battles to find a server with speed tests and then I get 5Mbps, if lucky, and non-existent uploads....

My question is whether a booster aerial is likely to help or would it be a waste of money. Attached are images of the Rain coverage, my distance from the covered area as well as an elevation profile map. Unfortunately there is a "hump" preventing "line of sight". The elevation is exaggerated due to the scale.

Worth pursuing or just pay more for extra Cell C data?

Attachments

• IMG_20190522_174145.jpg
    IMG_20190522_174145.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_20190522_181212.jpg
    IMG_20190522_181212.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20190522_174038.jpg
    IMG_20190522_174038.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 84

dotcat

Hi,

I thought I'd give Rain a test drive. I am outside their shown coverage area but I am on a hill so I've found with Cell C that even though I'm shown as not covered I am (and get good speeds).

Unfortunately this is not the case with Rain (looking to use it in my B315). It battles to find a server with speed tests and then I get 5Mbps, if lucky, and non-existent uploads....

My question is whether a booster aerial is likely to help or would it be a waste of money. Attached are images of the Rain coverage, my distance from the covered area as well as an elevation profile map. Unfortunately there is a "hump" preventing "line of sight". The elevation is exaggerated due to the scale.

I'm pretty sure if you point this in the direction of your nearest rain tower you should get decent signal.

https://www.geewiz.co.za/wireless-n...or-cpe.html?search_query=mikrotik&results=118

SeaSickMama

Expert Member
Last edited:

Donald8

I was outside their coverage area too but I applied and it's working like a space shuttle to the moon.

Marco3601

I was outside their coverage area too but I applied and it's working like a space shuttle to the moon.
Hey.what did you apply? I'm trying to get internet for my grandparents who are outside rain coverage. Need some info

jbroo

Hi,

You're too far to get any good upload. Download can still be possible but will be spotty. Post your connection stats (RSSI, RSRP, RSRQ, SINR), then can give a more informed opinion.