Borehole connection to mains

Wide

Hi

Bought a place recently that has a borehole. Currently, the borehole is only supplied to one tap in the garden area. I have tested the borehole water and its fine for consumption.

Is it possible for me to connect the borehole to the main water supply, which supplies the house (drinking, geysers, toilets etc) ? I am not sure what type of submersible pump is installed at the borehole. I don't have a JoJo tank or any other storage. It works of pressure as the borehole tap is opened. What would be needed for this to be converted and work ?

Also do I need to convert anything inside the house, such as toilet cisterns etc as I am assuming the supply might not be a constatnt 4 kpa ?

Thanks

D3x!

Banned
I don't think you are legally allowed to dispose of water down a municipal drain that is not from a municipal supply? they could never prove it unless they actually see it, just pointing it out.

/this is just something I have heard.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Hi

Bought a place recently that has a borehole. Currently, the borehole is only supplied to one tap in the garden area. I have tested the borehole water and its fine for consumption.

Is it possible for me to connect the borehole to the main water supply, which supplies the house (drinking, geysers, toilets etc) ? I am not sure what type of submersible pump is installed at the borehole. I don't have a JoJo tank or any other storage. It works of pressure as the borehole tap is opened. What would be needed for this to be converted and work ?

Also do I need to convert anything inside the house, such as toilet cisterns etc as I am assuming the supply might not be a constatnt 4 kpa ?

Thanks

Get a watertank, let the borehole keep it filled and then get a waterpump with actuator.
Then you have constant pressure and an emergency supply if the power/municipal supply fails.

No idea on municipal laws though.

Lay a pipe and join directly to your side of the water meter, put a non-return valve just after the meter(also on your side, don't fiddle with municipal pipes) so you don't pump to the neighbourhood, then you have 2 options:

1. Get a pressure tank(looks like an LPG gas tank, bigger the better as it holds the pressure) and a pressure switch so the borehole kicks in when the pressure drops as you open something and off when the pressure rises as you close something
PRO: cheaper
CON: boreholes really don't like kicking on and off all the time and you WILL kill your pump quicker

2. Get a holding tank that you fill with the borehole, switching it on once to fill the tank and then off once, either use a pressure pump and have the tank at ground level(won't work if there's no power) or put the tank on a stand and use a gravity feed(less pressure but is constant and power isn't an issue)

PRO: saves the pump
CON: can be more expensive in the short term

We have a combined system, borehole fills a gravity tank for the house and we have a separate irrigation system for the garden that keeps the pump running full tilt when in use so the on/off doesn't cook it.

The more you turn it on and off the faster you kill the pump, so use that to work out the "mileage" you'll get out of it. Before the gravity tank a cheaper chinese pump would last about a year and a more expensive pump about 2-3, since the tank we've had one pump for 5+ years.

If it's certified safe for consumption then you don't have to modify anything, water is water

EDIT: no idea the laws around all this in SA though, in Zim you just have to register your borehole and put up a sign saying you're using borehole water and then do what you like. Then again most properties have septic tanks so water isn't going into the sewage system.

Last edited:

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
What about the mineral content of the water? It may be safe for consumption, but excess minerals can calcify in your pipes and sinks over time.
Is there a way you can test for that?

KingRat1

Even if the water is fit for consumption now you need to test it around every 2 months.

wetkit

Expert Member
20151113_082334.jpg

This is what I will be doing for my back water supply.
You can get your borehole to pump into the holding tank via the ballvalve.

Now you should be able to shut off your mun feed completely and only run from the borehole.

Wide

Lay a pipe and join directly to your side of the water meter, put a non-return valve just after the meter(also on your side, don't fiddle with municipal pipes) so you don't pump to the neighbourhood, then you have 2 options:

1. Get a pressure tank(looks like an LPG gas tank, bigger the better as it holds the pressure) and a pressure switch so the borehole kicks in when the pressure drops as you open something and off when the pressure rises as you close something
PRO: cheaper
CON: boreholes really don't like kicking on and off all the time and you WILL kill your pump quicker

2. Get a holding tank that you fill with the borehole, switching it on once to fill the tank and then off once, either use a pressure pump and have the tank at ground level(won't work if there's no power) or put the tank on a stand and use a gravity feed(less pressure but is constant and power isn't an issue)

PRO: saves the pump
CON: can be more expensive in the short term

We have a combined system, borehole fills a gravity tank for the house and we have a separate irrigation system for the garden that keeps the pump running full tilt when in use so the on/off doesn't cook it.

The more you turn it on and off the faster you kill the pump, so use that to work out the "mileage" you'll get out of it. Before the gravity tank a cheaper chinese pump would last about a year and a more expensive pump about 2-3, since the tank we've had one pump for 5+ years.

If it's certified safe for consumption then you don't have to modify anything, water is water

EDIT: no idea the laws around all this in SA though, in Zim you just have to register your borehole and put up a sign saying you're using borehole water and then do what you like. Then again most properties have septic tanks so water isn't going into the sewage system.

Thanks- I have a pressure tank currently and will look into a holding tank. I remember someone telling me that to get decent gravity the tank will need 10m height for 1bar pressure? So will probably need to look at a pressure tank

One question, what level of pressure do you get inside your house ?

Thanks- I have a pressure tank currently and will look into a holding tank. I remember someone telling me that to get decent gravity the tank will need 10m height for 1bar pressure? So will probably need to look at a pressure tank

One question, what level of pressure do you get inside your house ?

If the bottom of the tank is the same height as the top of your geyser you'll be fine, max 1m higher. No idea the actual pressure but it works fine, you'll struggle with sprinklers and squirty hosepipe things if you're entirely on a gravity feed tho.

Wide

View attachment 315093

Now you should be able to shut off your mun feed completely and only run from the borehole.

Thanks, I assume your 2000l tank is gravity fed? or are you going to put in a pump after the tank?
Mind my ignorance, but what is a 8 press switch?
Also why do you have a feed from the "house point" into the "Pump" or is that suppose to be vice versa?

Wide

If the bottom of the tank is the same height as the top of your geyser you'll be fine, max 1m higher. No idea the actual pressure but it works fine, you'll struggle with sprinklers and squirty hosepipe things if you're entirely on a gravity feed tho.

Is your shower pressure decent (assuming the tank is higher than the geyser)?

Is your shower pressure decent (assuming the tank is higher than the geyser)?

If you don't have a pressure geyser(rare in SA) then turn your hot tap on, if you put the tank at the same height as your geyser that's the pressure you'll get.

Look it will be less than what you're used to here in SA from the mains, but it works.

You can put the tank as high as you're allowed to build though, just gets more expensive and our house is a double story so we already needed a 7 or 8m stand.

Necropolis

Executive Member
a friend worked at a lab and did it for me, very intense test. I understand this test costs $$$$

Ahh ok.

I thought you'd maybe just had a sip and figured it tasted fine so it should be fine :p

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
a friend worked at a lab and did it for me, very intense test. I understand this test costs $$$$

You Should test it often though.

Just as a safegard, why not separate drinking water from the borehole water ?

So have showers, toilets and washing taps all use borehole and the basins use mains.

Also remember that it might be ok to drink but will still have some mineral deposits that could build up in your pipes... so put a filter in somewhere.

Pitbull

Verboten
Hi

Thanks

Yes you could but it would be counter productive as you will need to put the borehole on and keep it on to have the water supplied continuously and that will cause burst pipes due to the pressure of the pump. Your only option would be to put in a water tank, then have a pressure pump to keep the pressure to the house constant. Fill the water tank every now and then via the borehole.

I'm saying a pressure pump as you won't be able to put the water tank a couple of meters in the air in town. If you stayed on a plot it's simple. Put water tank on a stand about 3 - 4 meters high and the pressure is perfect.

Pitbull

Verboten
View attachment 315093

Good idea, however the Borehole pump can't be on always as the pressure from the pump will rupture the pipe. Unless you have the power to the pump also connected to the ball valve.

Yes you could but it would be counter productive as you will need to put the borehole on and keep it on to have the water supplied continuously and that will cause burst pipes due to the pressure of the pump.

There are many ways of controlling pressure output from a borehole pump, in fact I explained most of these.

Good idea, however the Borehole pump can't be on always as the pressure from the pump will rupture the pipe. Unless you have the power to the pump also connected to the ball valve.

Please read the thread

Pitbull

Verboten
There are many ways of controlling pressure output from a borehole pump, in fact I explained most of these.

Please read the thread

I have, after posting. Would you like me to delete these posts I made? Would that make you happier?