Broken Samsung Note 4 - help me fix it!

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
Hello, good people.

I still have my old Samsung Note 4.

Symptoms as follows: refuses to switch on at all. Have tried a hard reset like here https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28866. It does not do anything at all. The screen does not come on at any stage. The LED does not light up. Nothing. The original battery is still in there. It seems fine. Its not swollen or leaking or anything. I've tried turning it on and a hard reset with the phone plugged in to charge and it makes no difference. Nothing.

The phone has been in a drawer for a couple of years. Before being replaced with an upgrade, the phone exhibited a number of strange symptoms. Getting stuck in a boot loop of some kind. Powering off for no reason. But at least it would still charge and turn on. Not like now.

Is there any saving it or should I sell / PIF it for parts (including the screen which is still mint)?

Any ideas?

Tsepz_011

Expert Member
Hello, good people.

I still have my old Samsung Note 4.

Symptoms as follows: refuses to switch on at all. Have tried a hard reset like here https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28866. It does not do anything at all. The screen does not come on at any stage. The LED does not light up. Nothing. The original battery is still in there. It seems fine. Its not swollen or leaking or anything. I've tried turning it on and a hard reset with the phone plugged in to charge and it makes no difference. Nothing.

The phone has been in a drawer for a couple of years. Before being replaced with an upgrade, the phone exhibited a number of strange symptoms. Getting stuck in a boot loop of some kind. Powering off for no reason. But at least it would still charge and turn on. Not like now.

Is there any saving it or should I sell / PIF it for parts (including the screen which is still mint)?

Any ideas?
My Note 4 has the exact same issues, it's an eMMC issue that the Snapdragon 805 Note 4s have and yesterday while going threw my drawer I picked it up, and as usual it didn't want to boot up or charge, but I plugged it into the charger regardless, a few minutes later it booted up, but it kept freezing and heating up a lot, I switched it to Power Save Mode and it worked pretty well for a couple of hours before I turned it off.

Honestly,my suggestion is to sell it for parts, it is not at all a reliable phone at this point, it may just turn off randomly again while it's most needed.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
My Note 4 has the exact same issues, it's an eMMC issue that the Snapdragon 805 Note 4s have and yesterday while going threw my drawer I picked it up, and as usual it didn't want to boot up or charge, but I plugged it into the charger regardless, a few minutes later it booted up, but it kept freezing and heating up a lot, I switched it to Power Save Mode and it worked pretty well for a couple of hours before I turned it off.

Honestly,my suggestion is to sell it for parts, it is not at all a reliable phone at this point, it may just turn off randomly again while it's most needed.
Yeah. I'm sure someone can make use of the screen which is mint.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
I almost forgot about this.

I successfully revived a dying Xiaomi MI Max the other which is making a nice 6" digital photo frame on my desk.

Any other ideas to bring this note 4 back to life to do the same?

gamer16

Expert Member
The time it was in the drawer makes me think perhaps the battery is dead, leave it on charge for a long time and see what happens.

Not sure it is but if the battery is removable usually putting it on charge without it will cause the phone to complain, then at least you know its not dead and just needs a new battery.

hj2k_x

Honorary Master
The time it was in the drawer makes me think perhaps the battery is dead, leave it on charge for a long time and see what happens.

Not sure it is but if the battery is removable usually putting it on charge without it will cause the phone to complain, then at least you know its not dead and just needs a new battery.
Thanks. That's worth a shot. I'll poke about with it a bit more tonight and report back :)

I don't like having to concede defeat or throwing away tech that can still have a use.

Mobster

Put a new battery in it then Flash the Stock rom on it. Will clear up an issues it had before.

MR.C

Expert Member
Yeah, there must be a pakistan owned cellphone shop near you. They do it for like 100-250. Will take them like 10 mins to change it for you. They can even flash it for you if you want
Note 4 has a removable battery, will take less than a minute to change