BSc Computing and BSc Informatics - Main differences?

Mocke

Good day,

I am looking to go and study further and to broaden my knowledge. I am looking to go and study something in the line of BSc Computing at UNISA but saw that they also offer BSc Informatics as well. I tried to find out what the main differences are between these two degrees but can't get a clear answer on the internet :confused:. According to a Yahoo Answers post (found here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110331044129AATlarw) the differences are:

"COMPUTER SCIENCE" concerns itself primarily with the internal features, structure and behavior of computer systems. The Information about major addresses the relationship between what is inside the computer and what is outside.

"INFORMATICS" courses cover programming languages, information retrieval and management, human-computer interaction, and the architecture, design, development, and analysis of software. "

So can anyone please elaborate and explain to me what the main differences are between these two qualifications and what possible careers opportunities there might be for both?

Thank you very much
:)

Bar0n

Executive Member
Good day,

I am looking to go and study further and to broaden my knowledge. I am looking to go and study something in the line of BSc Computing at UNISA but saw that they also offer BSc Informatics as well. I tried to find out what the main differences are between these two degrees but can't get a clear answer on the internet :confused:. According to a Yahoo Answers post (found here: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110331044129AATlarw) the differences are:

"COMPUTER SCIENCE" concerns itself primarily with the internal features, structure and behavior of computer systems. The Information about major addresses the relationship between what is inside the computer and what is outside.

"INFORMATICS" courses cover programming languages, information retrieval and management, human-computer interaction, and the architecture, design, development, and analysis of software. "

So can anyone please elaborate and explain to me what the main differences are between these two qualifications and what possible careers opportunities there might be for both?

Thank you very much
:)

CompSci is much more mathematicial and theoretical: AI, neural networks, algorithmics, compilers, etc.

Informatics will focus on practical programming, software engineering and patterns, human-computer interaction, database management, etc.

cguy

Executive Member
Computing is more "science" and Informatics is more "business". It really depends on your headspace as to what's best for you. Plenty of businesses need computer science types not informatics types and vice versa.

Njabulod

CompSci is much more mathematicial and theoretical: AI, neural networks, algorithmics, compilers, etc.

Informatics will focus on practical programming, software engineering and patterns, human-computer interaction, database management, etc.

+1

Mocke

Thank yo very much for the replies everyone!
I think I have a good understanding now and can make a better informed decision on what to go and study

Bar0n

Executive Member
I wish I asked this question a few years ago. I'm doing Comp Sci, have 5 modules left, and I am absolutely over it!

I was not born for studying yo.

Stick with it. It's a good course.

I wanted to do CompSci but it was not offered at my university. They offered mainly Informatics with some CompSci subjects thrown in: i.e. a mess. My M.Sc. is currently more CompSci based and I occasionally feel that there are some gaps in my education that I now need to go back and plug.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
I wish I asked this question a few years ago. I'm doing Comp Sci, have 5 modules left, and I am absolutely over it!

Started a BSc Hon in Computing this year - no idea what they talking about as I haven't done a regular BSc lol!

Nerfherder

Honorary Master

Me too... but I at that stage they only had the Bcom informatics not BSC... and it was a problem changing to Bcom.

Beavis

Sorry for hijacking this old'ish thread...

I also want to enrol and study further... I definitely want to focus more on the programming aspects and contemplating between BSc Informatics or the Ndip IT...

Any advice which one is more focused on software design, as it seems both are. The business / financial modules is cool and see both routes cover them.
Also in which programming languages are the BSc/ Ndip, for some reason Unisa is not so clear on these questions.

At first I was leaning towards the Ndip, but are now more considering the BSc Informatics as study time looks to be similar and the BSc is a higher NQF

Urghhh why is it so hard to decide.... tehehehe

Bar0n

Executive Member

I also want to enrol and study further... I definitely want to focus more on the programming aspects and contemplating between BSc Informatics or the Ndip IT...

Any advice which one is more focused on software design, as it seems both are. The business / financial modules is cool and see both routes cover them.
Also in which programming languages are the BSc/ Ndip, for some reason Unisa is not so clear on these questions.

At first I was leaning towards the Ndip, but are now more considering the BSc Informatics as study time looks to be similar and the BSc is a higher NQF

I'd pick a B.Sc. over a diploma any day.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood

There isn't even a decision to make. BSc is the only option.

Zuner

Expert Member
good thread, i want to study next year, i'm heavily interested in Java programming, now i could just go do that on its own but i need a Degree for future. what do you guys recommend ??

keep in mind, i will be resigning to do this so i need to do it right the first time.

froot

Honorary Master
good thread, i want to study next year, i'm heavily interested in Java programming, now i could just go do that on its own but i need a Degree for future. what do you guys recommend ??

keep in mind, i will be resigning to do this so i need to do it right the first time.

Go and do the above degree, and go do a few Java certs. You don't do a degree for the programming language.