BSc IT at Richfield worth doing?

Hi guys, as the title suggests, would it be worth it for me to do a BSc IT at Richfield? I presume that it's at the same level as the Damelin IT degree. The reason I'm looking at this, is because I tried, both for this application period and the period for semester 1, to apply to study through UNISA. However both today, and then, I could not even get helped because of the staff shutting down the campus due to protests. This is really disheartening and I really want to get this over with, can't wait years for UNISA and never even start a degree.

I can't apply online because the highschool I attended is not listed in the online application tool, and since I did the old syllabus, only 4 of the 6 subjects I took are listed online.

So I just really want to ask, would doing the Richfield degree be worth it at least for the sake of getting a job in IT? I can already program, have for years. But can't get a job, they always require a degree. So would this be worth it? They are apparently accredited, but obviously the course would not be at varsity level. I can't do full-time studying because I work.

Sumen

Expert Member
Hi guys, as the title suggests, would it be worth it for me to do a BSc IT at Richfield? I presume that it's at the same level as the Damelin IT degree. The reason I'm looking at this, is because I tried, both for this application period and the period for semester 1, to apply to study through UNISA. However both today, and then, I could not even get helped because of the staff shutting down the campus due to protests. This is really disheartening and I really want to get this over with, can't wait years for UNISA and never even start a degree.

I can't apply online because the highschool I attended is not listed in the online application tool, and since I did the old syllabus, only 4 of the 6 subjects I took are listed online.

So I just really want to ask, would doing the Richfield degree be worth it at least for the sake of getting a job in IT? I can already program, have for years. But can't get a job, they always require a degree. So would this be worth it? They are apparently accredited, but obviously the course would not be at varsity level. I can't do full-time studying because I work.
Their degrees are university equivalent.

To be honest I wouldn't go there, my sister attends and they finish at odd times, they don't even have a set timetable (it changes every week), their communication methods suck(no emails or SMS)

cguy

Expert Member
I've never heard of Richfield, which isn't a good sign. I took a look at the syllabus. It doesn't look obviously bad, but there aren't really any details on the modules.

Some other warning signs:
- It's also odd that course content information is so hard find (why hide it?).
- The lecturing staff appears to be devoid of any science PhD graduates.
- I find it very strange that under "system architecture", the two modules listed are "computer architecture" and then "help desk technology".

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Why not just skip the local mess entirely and study abroad:
  • Wider selection of highly accredited varsities (vs. the local political cesspits)
  • With a more up to date curriculum.

cguy

Expert Member
[)roi(];21432629 said:
Why not just skip the local mess entirely and study abroad:
  • Wider selection of highly accredited varsities (vs. the local political cesspits)
  • With a more up to date curriculum.
Do you mean study through an overseas university by correspondence/online? If so, any recommendations?

Do you or your sister know of what employers think of a BSc from this institution? Thanks for the reply man.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
Do you mean study through an overseas university by correspondence/online? If so, any recommendations?
Another "how long is a piece of String" situation -- choices are always variable. Not knowing the person, their goals, finances, ...

There are however many easy to Google distance study search portals; and making a correlation between institution and academic ranking is quite often included.

c10n3d_0r6

You don't have to look overseas. Unisa aren't too bad and much cheaper than what you'll pay for overseas courses. Unisa can be a bit messy and disorganized when it comes to registering, but after that is sorted I've found them quite decent. Even their course material has been quite up to date.

Last edited:

animal531

Expert Member
A lot of employers want degrees (which they use as a quick shortcut instead of checking for ability), but you should be able to land a job without one as well, albeit with a bit more work. If you're struggling then you're not doing enough to sell yourself, e.g. by showing online projects that you've worked or are working on, etc.

cguy

Expert Member
You don't have to look overseas. Unisa aren't too bad and much cheaper than what you'll pay for overseas courses. Unisa can be a bit messy and disorganized when it comes to registering, but after that is sorted I've found them quite decent. Even their course material has been quite up to date.
I agree. I was curious as to what the overseas options may be, since in my experience the overseas correspondence courses are dodgy AF :). Would be good to know of something that isn't.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
I agree. I was curious as to what the overseas options may be, since in my experience the overseas correspondence courses are dodgy AF :). Would be good to know of something that isn't.
A generalised statement like "dogdy AF" sadly says more about the orator than it does about the institutions.

PS. those "dodgy AF" overseas distance study options include (and are certainly in no way limited to):
  • Boston University
  • University of Florida
  • Arizona State University
  • University of Wisconsin-Madison
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Stanford University
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Northeastern University
  • Rochester Institute of Technology
  • Washington State University

Guess my comment re "how long is a piece of String" simply breezed over any notions of sensibility in this thread.

cguy

Expert Member
[)roi(];21437647 said:
A generalised statement like "dogdy AF" sadly says more about the orator than it does about the institutions.
I qualified it by "my experience", which means, it's not generalized, and I said it "would be good to know of something that isn't", which means that I don't believe that my experience is conclusive. Let's not even mention the smiley. I think this says more about your ability to grok English than anything else.

Last edited:

[)roi(]

Executive Member
I qualified it by "my experience", which means, it's not generalized, and I said it "would be good to know of something that isn't", which means that I don't believe that my experience is conclusive. Let's not even mention the smiley. I think this says more about your ability to grok English than anything else.
Nope, "in my experience" and "dodgy AF" quite transparently ignored any
correlation between institution and academic ranking
.. or that ...
choices are always variable. Not knowing the person, their goals, finances, ...

cguy

Expert Member
[)roi(];21438841 said:
Nope, "in my experience" and "dodgy AF" quite transparently ignored any

.. or that ...
Um... I wasn't talking to you. I'm not going to frame my response to someone else in terms of your, quite frankly, useless posts.

Fuma

Executive Member
[)roi(];21437647 said:

PS. those "dodgy AF" overseas distance study options include (and are certainly in no way limited to):
  • Boston University
  • University of Florida
  • Arizona State University
  • University of Wisconsin-Madison
  • Pennsylvania State University
  • Stanford University
  • University of California, Berkeley
  • Northeastern University
  • Rochester Institute of Technology
  • Washington State University

Guess my comment re "how long is a piece of String" simply breezed over any notions of sensibility in this thread.
I think this list would have avoided a lot of trouble. I personally didn't know you could do a proper degree through correspondence in these overseas universities. Even our universities do not offer that - except UNISA.

Messugga

Honorary Master
I think this list would have avoided a lot of trouble. I personally didn't know you could do a proper degree through correspondence in these overseas universities. Even our universities do not offer that - except UNISA.
Those universities have some pretty rough entrance requirements, as they run on GPA. I looked at Boston for a post-grad degree and they asked for high 80's average :(

cguy

Expert Member
You don't think "how long is a piece of string" and "google it" was a useful answer? ;)

Also, most of them you can't:
- Some only offer master degrees (or non-degree certificates even), which isn't what the OP was looking for. Also, a masters like this doesn't mean quite the same thing as they it does in SA, especially when not done as part of a PhD program.
- Some aren't open to international students.
- Some require prerequisite courses such as maths to be done at a brick-and-mortar university.
- One listed was ranked below 400, and the online degree would likely be worth considerably less.
- Also, you will find that the online programs are often not technically the same university as the non-online version, and are typically accredited by the US Correspondence Education body (which is why they tend to have names like XYZ Online and XYZ WorldCampus), and aren't treated the same.
- Many have heavy entrance requirements, including high GED marks.

Hence the reason that I am curious if there is any clear winner/recommendation in terms of what would be feasible for a South African. It's quite the minefield of nuances.

[)roi(]

Executive Member
The options are vast, so no different to buying a house or ...; decisions you'd hardly hinge solely off an opinion or some marketing. Conducting your own research is unavoidable (i.e. Google, etc.). It's a very personal choice and the few I posted only scratch the surface. FYI that was based on a report of the top 10 student ranked USA distance learning institutions for 2016.

Ps.
  • With a little effort; you should be able to easily confirm that many options aren't limited to only post graduate study.
  • There are many academically high ranked options for undergraduate, specialities, ... worldwide (i.e. not limited to USA or SA)
  • Entrance requirements are generally no different to the admission's policy for on campus study. Admission's policies vary; naturally the higher the academic rank the higher the requirements and cost.
  • Not initially meeting admissions requirements is not insurmountable.

Last edited: