BSOD and sound card issue

nelis

Expert Member
Hi there.

I seem to be getting the following blue screen. Now this only happens 2 times so far. this happened on the 28th and the this morning. My complete system specs is

i7-4790k
MSI z97 gaming 5 with latest bios installed
16Gb Corsair vengance low profile 1600mhz RAM (4x4GB)
2x SSD (1 for os and 1 for games)
1x HDD for storage
2x r9 280x crossfire
Corsair h100i
Sound Blaster z sound card
and everything else irrelevant.

I've attached the BSOD error so please have a look sorry if it looks bad but at least you can see the error. I'm not getting this all the time only when I have lot's of tabs open in Google chrome other words it sound like memory to me. I disabled hardware acceleration in google chrome anyway. This is what I've tested so far.

Did a test with Aida64 on the memory to see if my memory is at fault. I know it's not the best test but to my understanding if memory is faulty shouldn't it just crash once it started loading something in the memory? I will also have to test with memtest86+ tonight to further investigate it but is there anything else i can do that's a faster way of finding out if memory is dead or is memtest86+ pretty much the fastest/best way?

Now the other issue is that after I did my test with aida64 on the memory and stopped it then my pc was so unresponsive although i could move windows around and do some stuff I couldn't even reboot the thing and had to hard reset it. When i got to the os it couldn't detec my Sound blaster z. So i decided to shut down my pc completely and switching it back on and then it worked no issues. Now i don't know if ram can be related to this or not.

This might sound strange but I actually hope it's something simple as ram that's faulty cause that's just easier to fix than for me to go and check every single thing. Maybe this is why i'm getting freezes etc etc in battlefield 4 cause we all know how memory intense that game can be.

I'm ok with running only 8GB RAM if that means a happy and stable system.

sorry forgot to upload the pic

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Were is the pic of the bsod?

Memtest86+ because it works outside of the OS to ensure it cant crash or freeze.

Glingfram

There's an error code near the bottom of the BSOD, something like 0x000007E. Get the last 2 letter (in this case 7E) and Google.

Generally it's a driver problem (or graphics library problem) that can be solved by reinstalling. You can also try running Memtest but I don't think your RAM's at fault. Also good to try reseating the RAM and graphics cards just in case.

nelis

Expert Member
There's an error code near the bottom of the BSOD, something like 0x000007E. Get the last 2 letter (in this case 7E) and Google.

Generally it's a driver problem (or graphics library problem) that can be solved by reinstalling. You can also try running Memtest but I don't think your RAM's at fault. Also good to try reseating the RAM and graphics cards just in case.
This is the error

0x0000001a. I googled it and it looks like a memory fault. Maybe that's why my bf4 has been freezing on me from time to time cause we all know BF4 is kinda memory intense. I'm also seeing this error in event viewer

"The ACP Kernel Service Driver service failed to start due to the following error:
A device attached to the system is not functioning."

Last edited:

nelis

Expert Member
So I was running my pc tonight. played BF4 for a long time etc etc. I watched some youtube videos and then after a while BSOD.

http://gyazo.com/8b86554a8b04e7327ace32db6f601036

So I restarted my os and same thing as last time. My sound card is not detected by motherboard. I also checked via board explorer in the uefi bios and it doesn't detect my sound card. maybe there is some incompatibility with the Creative sound blaster z and msi motherboards. So for now running on onboard and i must say it's a lot worse than my SBZ

Glingfram

BSOD code 1a is a memory issue - run memtest86, do a full run and check results.

Your code from last night was 1e - a general hardware failure (may be caused by a driver issue or a hardware issue). Get your RAM sorted out first and then move on to the Sound Blaster problem. You might have a hardware problem with either the sound card or your motherboard if it is intermittently losing your sound card.

nelis

Expert Member
BSOD code 1a is a memory issue - run memtest86, do a full run and check results.

Your code from last night was 1e - a general hardware failure (may be caused by a driver issue or a hardware issue). Get your RAM sorted out first and then move on to the Sound Blaster problem. You might have a hardware problem with either the sound card or your motherboard if it is intermittently losing your sound card.
Ok so I did a full test last night with 7 passes. This morning when I came to my pc it was on test number 5 and no errors found. So what now. Last night when it blue screen it was giving me that BSOD as shown in that link and then when I booted up my pc couldn't detect my sound card only when I shut down and start the pc again. So seems like it could be my sound card all along but will have to further investigate. it normally happens on chrome when streaming video but not all the time only some times but more often than ever.

I'm really so sick and tired of just having issues. I've been struggling with pc issues for about 6 months. My old pc also used to give me issues. Oh and another thing is sometimes but this is very limited times my screen will just jump even if I set my Screen to the default 60Hz I will get screen jumps but it won't freeze or anything. I can play BF4 etc etc for a very long time last night. was playing for about 1-2hr's and then i wanted to check some youtube videos. Then blue screen again.

I did disable hardware acceleration on flash and google chrome cause My display driver will crash when watching video files and on some websites. That's a common issue with most AMD radeon users

Last edited: