Buying a router

GPSJane

Any advice on which router to choose?

I need something on a budget so best value for money.

I need:
  • router only
  • USB file sharing [edit to remove print sharing]
  • decent coverage OR
  • AP/extender with similar spec - can be wired
  • AC probably a good idea?
I have looked only at Netgear because I like their interface and their features just work and I don’t have time to properly compare across brands.

We don’t need funny things like QR codes to connect. But I don’t want to struggle or need to set things up too much. I need it to just work from the beginning.

Currently Apple devices and the TV disconnect easily, that’s why we are replacing the little old router we have.

Looking at:
R6220 or possibly it’s a R6120 but no model listed - so frustrating!
R6230
WNR3500L

Any other recommendations? I can’t reslly see what the differences here are but they do have very different prices

Last edited:

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Tenda AC10U

Or if you really want that extra USB port you can pay more than double for the TP-Link Archer C7.

Last edited:

Napalm2880

Expert Member
DEWALT DW618

*just kidding. Netgear is a solid brand if you're willing to pay. I've found most of the other brands fall over when you torrent over WiFi (they just can't handle the no. of TCP sessions). Otherwise TP-Link isn't too bad as a budget option. I'd get an Ethernet over power line adapter for extending the WiFi / LAN to distant parts of your home (make sure they're directly connected to the wall socket, and not on a multi-plug adapter).

https://www.tp-link.com/za/products/details/cat-18_TL-WPA4220KIT.html

DBG were pretty well priced last I used them.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
DEWALT DW618

*just kidding. Netgear is a solid brand if you're willing to pay. I've found most of the other brands fall over when you torrent over WiFi (they just can't handle the no. of TCP sessions). Otherwise TP-Link isn't too bad as a budget option. I'd get an Ethernet over power line adapter for extending the WiFi / LAN to distant parts of your home (make sure they're directly connected to the wall socket, and not on a multi-plug adapter).

I have the Tenda AC9, the older one of the one I recommended above, I've had it running torrents, NNTP and gaming at the same time and the router asked please sir may I have some more.

GPSJane

DEWALT DW618

Thanks. I’d rather get a good brand and not get the highest spec so that it works. TP-Link are good but I found I prefer netgear for user friendliness. Or am I being silly?

About Ethernet over power, does it work in old, badly wired houses? We already have problems with the voltage dipping when the geyser or something like that is on. I don’t want my network affected. Also, all the routers we had previously got blown, that’s why we have a crappy old loan unit now. We do have a thingy to protect it but we wouldn’t be able to use that would we?

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
Is the Tenda firmware bug free and easy to use? I’m not deficient in technical skills but don’t have time to troubleshoot right now.
You plug it in, plug your modem in, open the interface in your browser go through the wizard and that's that.

GPSJane

Maybe silly question, sorry. Sometimes happens with some software though.

About the Archer C7. The reason I looked at Netgear is because I believe the file sharing will just work. I assume the ReadyShare is FTP?

Does TP-Link file and printer sharing work nicely?

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master

About the Archer C7. The reason I looked at Netgear is because I believe the file sharing will just work. I assume the ReadyShare is FTP?

I haven't used the USB feature on my current Tenda or my previous TP-Link, on the Tenda it's an FTP server accessible locally and over the internet and a Samba share and iirc on the TP-Link it's the same plus a basic media server.

eXisor

Expert Member

I have the Archer C7 1750 v4. The software is quite easy to use, and after an update, does SMB 2. NAS via usb2 was easy to setup, and our Samsung 4600 Printer worked, although it's not on the list of printers supported.
I've had no problems with the router, but did need to setup a repeater to cover the front of the house and garage, about 15m away.
I've considered loading it with dd-wrt, but to date haven't. I may when I set it up as a VPN client, just to get better encryption.
It's not had software updates for the last 6 months, so it may be, or will soon become, an end-of-life product.

Last edited:

lkswan747

Expert Member
Thanks. I’d rather get a good brand and not get the highest spec so that it works. TP-Link are good but I found I prefer netgear for user friendliness. Or am I being silly?

About Ethernet over power, does it work in old, badly wired houses? We already have problems with the voltage dipping when the geyser or something like that is on. I don’t want my network affected. Also, all the routers we had previously got blown, that’s why we have a crappy old loan unit now. We do have a thingy to protect it but we wouldn’t be able to use that would we?
Nothing wrong with TP-Link. Been running the Archer D7 for at least 5 years without any problems. Used it as ADSL and now Fibre router.

GPSJane

...our Samsung 4600 Printer worked, although it's not on the list of printers supported..

Ok so that’s what I am wondering. I might go to all this effort and then you can plug in any printer after all. I have an old Samsung Laser that works well. I’m not getting a new one. But I really struggle to use it without network connectivity.

Where is this list?

eXisor

Expert Member
Ok so that’s what I am wondering. I might go to all this effort and then you can plug in any printer after all. I have an old Samsung Laser that works well. I’m not getting a new one. But I really struggle to use it without network connectivity.

Where is this list?

The manual for the printer you have should specify which printers it supports. Check their website for it if you can't find yours.
I doubt if just any old printer would work. There are universal standards for printer usb interfaces, so there's a chance. In my case I bought the router because our Linksys died, and didn't check the printer issue at all. The printer working was a lucky bonus.

GPSJane

The manual for the printer you have should specify which printers it supports. Check their website for it if you can't find yours.
Wait, the printer manual will tell you which printer the router supports? Confused.