Bye bye Internet Explorer

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
Bye bye Internet Explorer

Look out, Internet Explorer. After 20 years of competing against rival web browsers, Microsoft is gearing up to launch its own alternative to its once-dominant Internet surfing program

genetic

Honorary Master
Internet Explorer and Firefox are better and faster than Chrome these days.

Drifter

Honorary Master
Huge impact on businesses. Lots of companies I deal with only use IE. Heck, even some of the banks you can only use IE for their internet banking.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Huge impact on businesses. Lots of companies I deal with only use IE. Heck, even some of the banks you can only use IE for their internet banking.
Serves them bloody right for not waking up a decade ago.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Yip in the insurance industry as well. This is going to cause big poef.

FaSMaN

Expert Member
I don't know why every article doesn't state the obvious , its not being killed, there renaming it to "Spartan" or what ever, a turd by any other name is still a turd.

dovij

Users will still be able to download IE, and security fixes will still be issued.

My question is for Web components inside of LOB applications - will they be using Spartan or IE? Obviously, if it uses Spartan for the Web component, this will cause major issues.

xumwun

Expert Member
I don't know why every article doesn't state the obvious , its not being killed, there renaming it to "Spartan" or what ever, a turd by any other name is still a turd.
That's not entirely true. They will be using a new rendering engine but will still have a compatibility mode rendering in mshtml/trident.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Most banks still use IE 8, mine is currently busy upgrading to IE 11 (This already causes headaches.)

rrh

Expert Member
IE still gives me the least rendering problems, probably because most web developers start by testing with IE simply because it still has the largest installed base.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
Most banks still use IE 8, mine is currently busy upgrading to IE 11 (This already causes headaches.)
If my bank did not understand the security advantage of standards compliance, I would have upgraded to a new one long ago.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
If my bank did not understand the security advantage of standards compliance, I would have upgraded to a new one long ago.
It's not that we don't understand it, we have lazy devs. But all banks are still behind with IE.

Skerminkel

Expert Member
It's not that we don't understand it, we have lazy devs. But all banks are still behind with IE.
Exactly. If they cannot be bothered to do proper quality control on a critical business process, I will not trust them with my money.

Quey_Quick

Expert Member
Exactly. If they cannot be bothered to do proper quality control on a critical business process, I will not trust them with my money.
No bank is going to suit you then. As a point of reference I am a nedbank employee, and Nedbank in terms of technology are ahead of the other banks. Independent assessors have verified this.

kianm

Honorary Master
But Chrome has gone to kar* . I have since switched to Opera and since then life resumed