BYOD Vodacom FTTH on Vumatel

DavidP

So I've had Vodacom FTTH install with Vumatel and now I want to use my own router. I managed to get my PPPOE username and password but that does not seem to work. I tried setting the MAC address on the routers WAN port to match the Vodacom router but still no luck. I've been supplied the Vodafone-H-500-s router has anyone successfully been able to replace that with their own router?

WAslayer

Executive Member
I really hope you did not sign a two year contract with Vodacom...

ijacobs3

Expert Member
I’ve been battling with them for 3 days now, my director was with them, and we jumped every hoop to cancel, they have now suspended his service , but haven’t released the line so we can move. Vodacom is seriously the worst isp I have ever had to deal with

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Vuma trenched does not have PPPoE.

You should just set your router up to be a DHCP client on its wan port. You will need to match the mac address of their router, or ask them to release the bind for that router so yours can grab the IP.

DavidP

Vuma trenched does not have PPPoE.

You should just set your router up to be a DHCP client on its wan port. You will need to match the mac address of their router, or ask them to release the bind for that router so yours can grab the IP.
Thanks! fantastic, I'm working on the new router already! :)

Mr M

but seriously, get off vodacom, it will end in ulcers

On a month to month package with Vodacom.
I know of their slow support and lack of feedback but haven't has issues with the fibre product itself.

What should I be aware of?

ijacobs3

Expert Member
On a month to month package with Vodacom.
I know of their slow support and lack of feedback but haven't has issues with the fibre product itself.

What should I be aware of?
even on month to month, if you want to cancel, you in for a hefty cancellation fee

Also , its not really uncapped, they hit you with stupidly low FUP policies

Mr M

even on month to month, if you want to cancel, you in for a hefty cancellation fee

Also , its not really uncapped, they hit you with stupidly low FUP policies

I believe the cancellation fee is applicable only if you cancel within 12 months. This is to recoup the cost of the "free" router that we normally get.
The FUP is 2.5TB - haven't used more than 500GB pm so I'm ok on that front.
Right now there is no other provider in my area so not much of a choice.