C# CMS - Umbraco

Raithlin

Executive Member
I've been looking around for a .Net equivalent of Drupal for my own website - which is currently static. Which brings me this site:

www.umbraco.org

Looks good. Any thoughts?

My thoughts:

Positive:
  • Open Source (MIT license)
  • Extensible (using .Net Controls)
  • Web Standards
  • Easy to setup
  • SEO friendly

Negative:
  • ?

Last edited:

Necuno

Court Jester
I've been looking around for a .Net equivalent of Drupal for my own website - which is currently static. Which brings me this site:

www.umbraco.org

Looks good. Any thoughts?

My thoughts:

Positive:
  • Open Source (MIT license)
  • Extensible (using .Net Controls)
  • Web Standards
  • Easy to setup
  • SEO friendly

Negative:
  • ?

Negative:
  • Animal abuse

i mean just look at that poor fish whois about to die :mad:

Raithlin

Executive Member
Have you tried Oxite yet? It's supposed to be the MS equivalent of Joomla, AFAIK...
Can't say I have. However, if it's really like Joomla, I may not go near it - last time I worked with Joomla I got quite frustrated with the limitations the skinning placed on me. Joomla is good for beginners, but Drupal allows you far more flexibility.

My 0.02 ZAR.

[Update]
I've checked up on Oxite, and it seems to be another MVC Storefront app - and still a Developer Preview. Too many design issues to use as production code at present.

Last edited:

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
Apparently there are a few websites running on Oxite already... When I last checked it looked pretty good.

Raithlin

Executive Member
Which sites? Are they Blog sites, or something more? I know MIXOnline will be one, but I need something solid that I can use, and relax knowing that another upgrade isn't going to come out every week. I'm tired of using DPs, Betas and the like for production sites. ;)

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
Well, can't find the (unofficial) list of websites now. Had a look at it a few weeks (maybe months?) ago... But yes, MIX is online already. It doesn't look TOO bad though...

Raithlin

Executive Member
Thanks, but I'm gonna give Umbraco a go. It uses XSLT, has SEO-friendly output in whatever format you want, and I should be up rather quickly. I'll let you know how it goes.

FarligOpptreden

Executive Member
Thanks, but I'm gonna give Umbraco a go. It uses XSLT, has SEO-friendly output in whatever format you want, and I should be up rather quickly. I'll let you know how it goes.

Please do. I checked out their website and it looks pretty powerful. I'm also looking for a decent C# CMS, as I have a few websites in the pipeline that will require constant maintenance from the client's side...