C# developer entry level salary

IamSomeone

What's the "market related" salary for a C# software developer with no experience? I have a Computer Science degree.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I suppose "whatever you can get to get your foot in the door" is not the answer you are looking for?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I suppose "whatever you can get to get your foot in the door" is not the answer you are looking for?
Sadly the entitlement is real these days, not saying OP is specifically but I see it so often.

To OP, location does matter, as does industry and company but imo you should expect around R15k

IamSomeone

Sadly the entitlement is real these days, not saying OP is specifically but I see it so often.

To OP, location does matter, as does industry and company but imo you should expect around R15k
R15k sounds reasonable. By location you mean CPT or JHB or another city? I hear there are differences based on cities and that CPT offers higher wages compared to other cities.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
R15k sounds reasonable. By location you mean CPT or JHB or another city? I hear there are differences based on cities and that CPT offers higher wages compared to other cities.
Yes like city, frankly I was under the impression jhb offered more but I may very well be wrong, though I think depending where you stay CPT cost of living might be higher

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
If you already have a degree, why are you looking now midway through the year? Are you a unisa graduate?

IamSomeone

Experience is everything, well and attitude, but a foot in the door can mean great opportunity later, and it gives you a stepping stone
Thanks, indeed I have noticed that most junior posts require a minimum of 2 years experience.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Thanks, indeed I have noticed that most junior posts require a minimum of 2 years experience.
Yeah but a graduate post wouldn't obviously require much experience, some companies hold graduate programs but generally in partnership with the university.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
I have only started looking as I was busy with some personal stuff.

What's up with Unisa graduates?
You missed some opportunities dealing with your personal stuff it might raise some questions.

You never answered the question :p imo nothing wrong with unisa graduates but I'm not sure it is the general opinion.

IamSomeone

Thanks for your replies. I asked because I kept seeing "market related" instead of a range or a specific number.

cguy

Expert Member
It really depends more on skill set and the needs of the company. If they want a great algorithm developer with a maths and CS degree, they would be willing to pay a lot more than say an entry level web development job.

If you have a vanilla CS degree, and no outside experience, try find anything you can to get some experience. Otherwise, it would make sense to target into any areas of specialization you may have.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
What's the "market related" salary for a C# software developer with no experience? I have a Computer Science degree.
There is none.

I know of grad programmes that pay R0 and others that pay R20K.

I know of fulltime employment at R8K, and others at R22K.

Without technical expertise there really is no answer. Fundamentals only bring value to your career later on in life.

But I would say R10-R15K for most jobs for you. Not saying you can't get more but experience helps and better getting paid peanuts and building experience than being unemployed.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Thanks for your replies. I asked because I kept seeing "market related" instead of a range or a specific number.
Just means you need to make the first move as that gives them the upper hand. Negotiations101

Offerzen can give you a good indication to what the market really is willing to pay for you.

Markd

You missed some opportunities dealing with your personal stuff it might raise some questions.

You never answered the question :p imo nothing wrong with unisa graduates but I'm not sure it is the general opinion.
Haven't met many companies that care too much about where the degree was from on the provisio it was a 'recognised institution' and not a random internet university. I got my degrees from UNISA and at the job I have currently it was LITERALLY a checkbox for "Is Degree Educated". Honestly to find the combo of having some kind of related degree qualification, enough relevant experience, and the right attitude/culture fit, with the bonus of BEE status (not in my favour) is a tall order for big companies to do. They will take ND grads for internships and MANY of them end up working full time post that, because there is alot of work to be done.

So OP you have a qualification, I'd say worry less about the money if you can help it and more about the sort of projects you will be working on. Look for companies that will allow you to grow a good porfolio of experience that will set you up for the future.

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
Haven't met many companies that care too much about where the degree was from on the provisio it was a 'recognised institution' and not a random internet university. I got my degrees from UNISA and at the job I have currently it was LITERALLY a checkbox for "Is Degree Educated". Honestly to find the combo of having some kind of related degree qualification, enough relevant experience, and the right attitude/culture fit, with the bonus of BEE status (not in my favour) is a tall order for big companies to do. They will take ND grads for internships and MANY of them end up working full time post that, because there is alot of work to be done.

So OP you have a qualification, I'd say worry less about the money if you can help it and more about the sort of projects you will be working on. Look for companies that will allow you to grow a good porfolio of experience that will set you up for the future.
yet i have yet to see a company do a grad program with unisa? yes once experience etc comes into play i agree they don't give a hoot, but here were were talking no experience graduate. Bottom line is non-unisa graduates have a more comprehensive hands on course, if you had to take the same person in parallel they would come out better fro a good varsity program than the unisa one, that is literally all I am saying. Do you get better candidates from unisa than other full time universities, yes of course because some people are just better than others at certain things.

Also ps i am a unisa graduate as well.

K29

Most corporates building enterprise grade applications will pay at least R20k for a decent grad with a CS degree with good marks in JHB and 25k in Cape Town.

5 years ago it was closer to 15-20k. But inflation has pushed starting salaries up.

You will barely survive on 10k these days. If your CS marks were mostly A's, shop around, interview at many places and try to get an offer of over 20k and if not, negotiate

Last edited: