Cable thieves thrive during load-shedding

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
Cable thieves thrive during load-shedding

While most South Africans spent the past week griping about rolling power cuts, the outages proved a blessing for cable thieves, who are able to work during the blackouts without fear of electrocution.

Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd., which supplies almost all of South Africa’s electricity, imposed power cuts from Sunday through Thursday because of power-plant breakdowns. [Bloomberg]

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Pity that the majority of South Africans fail to realise that this is exactly how anything nationalised is delivered.
Electricity, Water, Sanitation; all nationalised, all fscked.

spiff

Executive Member
I think it's time I tapped into the lamp post outside :unsure:

eks-foking-corrupt can charge my spare batteries when power returns - for free:cool:

grok

Honorary Master
Lol if the leaders don't get you the foot-soldiers will, either way the commies gonna get you..

Africa FTS (for the shame..)

daveza

Honorary Master
https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-02-15-fury-in-joburg-as-blackouts-follow-load-shedding-then-theres-the-rain/

City Power said the rotational load-shedding had "serious knock-on after-effects" on the network.

"Our system took a serious knock during load-shedding.

"Most of our equipment - which is old - failed, including switch-gear and cables," said City Power CEO Lerato Setshedi.

Isaac Mangena, City Power spokesperson, said on Friday: "During load-shedding implemented by Eskom this week, City Power suffered serious losses due to, among others, cables stolen by thieves taking advantage of the power being off.

"We also had several of our mini sub-stations and pole-mounted transformers popping and exploding due to inrush current during restoration of power after load-shedding."

He said that when the system is out, cable thieves know that they have a few hours to help themselves to cables and equipment," said Mangena.

kianm

Honorary Master
These dudes are braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeeeee

What if the power just suddenly gets restored

Chuckmyster

Honorary Master
These dudes are braaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaveeeeeeeeeeee

What if the power just suddenly gets restored
it has never happened before.
ESKOM doesnt want to hurt those stealing electricity, that is why the power always gets restored on time or a bit later :thumbsup:

XTM

220v is nothing for them, they got trick to do it.

Temujin

Executive Member
Was off 19hours yesterday alone:thumbsup: future looking pretty, how the fark are we going to get through winter?

Midnights_Ghost

The cables at my workplace got stolen on Friday night for the 3rd time in 2 years. The thieves managed to get into the substation and get the cables from there. It wasn't during load shedding, I'm guessing they scoped the area on the previous days but Eskom decided not to shed on Friday and it didn't stop them.