Calling all butchers out there!

TheRidDlerX

Senior Member
Joined
Apr 30, 2008
Messages
948
Reaction score
102
Location
Jukskei Park, Randburg
So for the longest time, I've supported a small lunch kiosk a block up from work that used to make the best steak prego burgers I've ever had. The pregos were thin (5-6mm) and would just melt in your mouth, not chewy at all. Slap some grated cheddar and a tangy orange prego sauce on with a side of slap chips and you are set.

Fast forward past Covid and I got there one day to find the shop in the process of closing down and the chef that used to know me is also not there anymore. One of the waiters tho recognized me and we struck up a conversation. Sadly she couldn't tell me exactly how it was made but vaguely recalled where they bought it from. Some phone calls later I spoke with a nice lady that said it's possible it might have been them, but not sure. They had a 'specialty' prego they made, which could be it. I ordered from her anyway and it arrived on Fri. Now unfortunately i dont think its the same, but the taste was almost there. It was tough tho and thicker than it usually came out then.

This got me thinking. The chef probably tenderized the moer out of the steaks before, because it always had smallish triagular holes and impressions on the patty. Sucking at cooking I would not know where to start with the best type of meat tenderizer, but it would make sense that he did that. What i got here is smaller regtangular type cuts, but if you bash it could become round like i remember them. Anyone that's kickass with tenderizing can recommend me a tool i should get? I'm thinking the mallet type to change the shape of the patties, but some say the blade type has more flavor. Its my life's mission to recreate that recipe haha

Thanks
 
Nice one. Looks like it can cover a lot of area with one whack. Its more progressive cousins on Takealot all look like you will be smashing each steak with 10min before ur done
 
Don't waste time and money. Ask your butcher to cut you a few rump steaks as thin as he can. You will have big steaks very thin and just fold them over on each bun
Good idea. Its just a bit of an OCD thing that i have to get it right. Always trying to learn new things, and if a tool can help make something i like into something awesome i'd be willing to try it
 
Good idea. Its just a bit of an OCD thing that i have to get it right. Always trying to learn new things, and if a tool can help make something i like into something awesome i'd be willing to try it
In my opinion this is a good tool to have (@bwana’s post) just get a solid one like his, and not the one with the wooden handle. And if you get an aluminium one, make sure it’s dishwasher safe.

I usually tenderize inside a large ziplock bag, or if I don’t have those then between a couple of sheets of clingfilm.

For particularly tough cuts, I use a little sprinkle of baking powder and let it rest a few minutes before frying. And as always, steak should always be room temperature before cooking.
 
Nick Mallet. ;)

Fwiw that mallet; including the wooden handle, is over fifty years old.
Yeah they don’t make them like that anymore hence recommending the one without the wooden handle
 
In my opinion this is a good tool to have (@bwana’s post) just get a solid one like his, and not the one with the wooden handle. And if you get an aluminium one, make sure it’s dishwasher safe.

I usually tenderize inside a large ziplock bag, or if I don’t have those then between a couple of sheets of clingfilm.

For particularly tough cuts, I use a little sprinkle of baking powder and let it rest a few minutes before frying. And as always, steak should always be room temperature before cooking.
Just learnt that aluminium isn't always dishwasher safe.
Same here! Any recommendations perhaps? Some that are tried and tested that works that one can buy now?
 
Same here! Any recommendations perhaps? Some that are tried and tested that works that one can buy now?
I have a Rösle stainless steel one. Its got one tenderizer side and a flat side, which I use to flatten chicken breasts into schnitzels. Bought at Banks a long time ago so don’t remember what I paid.

3C7F18EA-5F79-4B75-827A-05BD0EB0DD5D.jpeg

B225F5E1-BC2D-477E-97EC-1430D8BDA705.jpeg
 
No offense, but that is style over substance.
No offense, but that's a dumb comment when it fulfills its usage just fine.

Googling, I can get that specific one for R600 here, you can get other metal brand ones that look similar for R250, most wooden ones are the same price.
 
No offense, but that's a dumb comment when it fulfills its usage just fine.

Googling, I can get that specific one for R600 here, you can get other metal brand ones that look similar for R250, most wooden ones are the same price.
I thought i saw that on Takealot yea. Will try and take a look
 
2 things that will help: Tenderize very well and cook in clarified butter(also known as ghee)
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X