Calling The Freelance Web Developers / Designers - New Invite Only Community Site?

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
Joined
May 10, 2010
Messages
1,964
Reaction score
1,304
Hello everyone.

Background: Am a web developer, doing freelance stuff along with one active and time consuming project. More work than time generally. Many big ideas, made decent progress thus far, will make more so in the future.

Problem: More work than time... Lacking all of the required connections to really make things happen in a more fashionable and regular way.

Solution: Would like to make a local and VERY BASIC private invite only online community / social media website based around people that find themselves in this position too and in terms of web / software / app design, development and related skill sets. Before I get the inevitable flames, this is not to make billions or millions or anything other than connections maybe one or two connections and a nice thing to play with in my space time.

Extended Solution: It's not really supposed to be a social media website per say... More of a job sharing platform (or even a project jump starting one) for people that are passionate about what they do... E.g. I have excess work, I would like to pass this off to people that have real standards and would cater for the people that I deal with in a professional and genuine way... When i have spare time, I take on extra work... For fun, to learn, just because I can. I have a few focus areas, I get requests often for other stuff and have no idea what to do with it, as a result I just say sorry no time... It would be nice to have people that have interests in these things and have the passion to do a "good" job...

I Have: A good idea, any domain, hosting and all other requirements pretty much for good, various skills, some friends (with various skills)... Some cash.

I Require: Web developer(s), web / graphic (with a web understanding) designer(s) that would hopefully have some flat graphic skills. Should be local freelancers / like minded people which a bit of spare time at some points. This is as I am not offering payment, at all, simply a chance to be a part of this project with me and whoever else we might find useful too :)

If anyone who may be able to fill these gaps would like to have a chat about this, please feel free to drop me a pm.

If you feel that this is a bad idea or been done to death or doomed to fail or otherwise... It doesn't matter to me. Please refrain from making comments.

Thank you!
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, things are looking good with what looks to be a prototype on the way.

Still looking for any interested parties, please PM me :)
 
You got PM :)

I think its a brilliant idea, but you have to be careful with who gets invited.Maybe come up with some sort of screening process?
 
Logic was fairly simple, start with quality professionals and see where that network leads... So members invite members, if you want in, work with members to get an invite... There is the screening, you'd tell through a job if the "professional" is that or not. Bound to be full of people that are worthwhile some way down the line?

Was thinking about that though, if you a skelem then there should be a way to out you by popular vote or something.

Would like to believe that everyone is good but can make bad choices... Might be better to focus on worthwhile things :)
 
Last edited:
Hi. I find myself in the same position. I work for myself, and with a friend of mine. We're both webdevs. I'm currently drowning in work, but will be looking at new projects from around March next year. I'd like to work with like minded people. I'll PM you my email address if you feel like getting in touch.
 
Please help me to understand: this network will be for freelancers that have too much work and not enough time or hands to do it. So they invite other devs to help them out. In essence outsourcing their work? Then passing off the work as their own to the clients? Because I don't think anyone will be interested in sharing customer information or contacts?

How will any money change hands? Who gets billed?
 
Please help me to understand: this network will be for freelancers that have too much work and not enough time or hands to do it. So they invite other devs to help them out. In essence outsourcing their work? Then passing off the work as their own to the clients? Because I don't think anyone will be interested in sharing customer information or contacts?

How will any money change hands? Who gets billed?

I would imagine that you would have no contact with clients and will be paid by the person who is in charge of the project.

Client -> Project manager(main dev) -> you(Outsourced dev)
 
too much work and not enough time or hands to do it.
Partly, sometimes you just need professionals who can assist? I am certainly not a jack of all trades and I do not believe that it is good to be either... I prefer to give work to people who focus on certain things, I struggle to find them 100% of the time. Pretty sure that I am not the only person that is in this predicament.

So they invite other devs to help them out
Create a project, find members who would like to become a part of the team... Make it easier to meet up and collaborate on a project?

In essence outsourcing their work?
Can be, I don't like to get involved in business where I don't know anything about it... I'd prefer to pass this off to people who really know... Most of the time and down the line there is some sort of kickback... Get work out of them, etc. Not the only option though, you could find people to outsource work to and that would be pretty smart if you can maintain it professionally, sure.

Because I don't think anyone will be interested in sharing customer information or contacts?
You'd be surprised hey... I share a lot often... For free as I have enough to do / think about already.

How will any money change hands?
To keep it simple... If you're in the business of business then you have facilities to do this type of thing efficiently... Would not really want to take on all the extra regulation that managing this type of thing as a service brings. If it goes international, that is another story.
 
Thanks for clearing that up.

Sign me up for this.

I have a lot of time / hands available.
 
Because I don't think anyone will be interested in sharing customer information or contacts?

You'd be surprised. I think most people have too much work, so would be more than willing to share or pass off.

What I think this is more about is finding people to work with you as a team. This is what I'm interested in, at least.
 
Hey everyone

Thanks again for all of the feedback. Things are looking up it seems :)

If anyone would like some more info or has talents and might like to help out, feel free to drop me a PM.

Please don't PM me if you'd like to be a part of the community... We all would but at this stage we are working on it. Will make it available and send out invites when capable I am sure... Keep watching this thread!
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X