Cambelt replacement on a diesel Audi

AmaDownload

When my 1.9 TDI Audi went over 200K I should have had the cambelt replaced I believe but I skipped that portion of the service as my mechanic was only comfortable to check and replace the standard items of a service (filters, brakepads, etc)..

I left it for another 25Ks but I keep wondering about the urgency of having this belt replaced. I am sure if these are so crucial to an engine, and causing so much damage when it fails, these belts are made out of top materials?

Could I not drive 200K on one same belt ?

Anybody with experience (good / bad) on this?

The fact it's a Diesel and I mainly drive highways on cruisecontrol at below 2000 RPMs does that not make a difference from a petrol engine?

Am I pushing my luck ?

What does a cambelt renewal cost on a 2004 audi TDI anyways?

:confused:

HapticSimian

Honorary Master
Failed cambelt = utterly destroyed engine. It's not worth the risk... ever.

EDIT

I'm not sure you quite grasp the importance of what a cambelt does. To simplify, it keeps the moving internals of your car's engine in sync. Even at your docile 2,000rpm these parts go full-circle 33 times PER SECOND. Cambelt snaps * suddenly you have metal parts moving at insane speeds crashing into each other - it doesn't make for a pretty picture.

Have it replaced. Today.

Last edited:

blaaislaai

Executive Member
replaced mine at 120k, just to be safe :p

When the cambelt snaps, or fails, you will see a couple of lights coming on on your HUD. Stop the car immediately

SlinkyMike

Executive Member
You are definitely pushing your luck, have it done.

Also have the water pump replaced at the same time- its right there in the same location and getting a mech. in there again at a later stage is going to cost you an arm and a leg.

Water pump is only a few hundred (around 3 or 4 hundred if I remember correctly.)

When you eventually sell your car, you want this service in the book ;)

KhoisanX

Expert Member
On some engines the pistons and valves never intrude into each other's space, so if the cambelt breaks the engine simply stops. But since you don't know if this is the case do as everyone has said and replace it now.