• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

Can SARS do that?

tRoN

Executive Member
One piece of advice....change your accountant. What are you paying him for if he can’t assist with this?

DreamKing

Executive Member
Unfortunately SARS can and do.
Is it unfair? Yes, but you have to play by their rules.

Have SARS requested documentation for that return? If they have and you did not respond after the second request, they will decline all inputs and charge you penalties and interest on the unpaid amount.

That's one scenario.
They log the request online, notifications don't always make it, depending on the profile set up.

Either way, it will take time to correct this.
The only way is to follow the correct channels. Get a tax professional to help you. It will be expensive but you have to way that up vs the amount of money you are in for.

A run of the mill accountant won't always be able to assist in these kind of scenarios.

Good luck, it is a frustrating experience.
I think that is the problem.

I heard so many cases that SARS didn't inform the tax payers and just let the time passed.
because you only have "one month for objection", so automatically, you lost.

DreamKing

Executive Member
It sounds like sars did a verification/audit on your vat return and then disallowed some vat expenses claimed. If correct procedures were followed with objection it could have been allowed. There is still a chance to fix this or even claim those expenses in a future period depending on reason they were dissalowed. I am a tax practitioner and could look at it if you like.
thanks

I planned the worst already, that is exactly what you said, reclaim those expenses in a future period, and then pay for the penalty and interests.

SARS is playing a very unfair game. you have no objection for what they did to you, that is why I said that is so desperate for SA.

droidx

Expert Member
thanks

I planned the worst already, that is exactly what you said, reclaim those expenses in a future period, and then pay for the penalty and interests.

SARS is playing a very unfair game. you have no objection for what they did to you, that is why I said that is so desperate for SA.
Go the objection route.
Do not pay penalties and interest.
This happened to me and can be fixed.
You just need to show them that you have valid supporting documentation as part of the objection.
Even if you failed to submit initially, it doesn't matter.

I was lucky enough to speak to someone very knowledgeable and helpful at SARS.
They do exist.

With her advice I could do it myself, but because of the amounts involved I decided to rather go via a tax professional.

DreamKing

Executive Member
Go the objection route.
Do not pay penalties and interest.
This happened to me and can be fixed.
You just need to show them that you have valid supporting documentation as part of the objection.
Even if you failed to submit initially, it doesn't matter.

I was lucky enough to speak to someone very knowledgeable and helpful at SARS.
They do exist.

With her advice I could do it myself, but because of the amounts involved I decided to rather go via a tax professional.
"the objection route" is still under processing. my accountant just told me to wait ..... endlessly.

but anyways, I am still thinking what is the next step I have to do. I will update it when I have any result.

thanks everyone.

creeper

Expert Member
"the objection route" is still under processing. my accountant just told me to wait ..... endlessly.

but anyways, I am still thinking what is the next step I have to do. I will update it when I have any result.

thanks everyone.
Tax ombudsman seems to be an option after all of this.

quovadis

Expert Member
My 2c - From experience the best way to sort it out quickly is take all documentation and submissions and payments to a SARS branch and demand that they assist you with the matter. They will scan everything in and provide a response in writing and adjustments etc if necessary. Sending emails and letters just frustrates the matter. Make sure you get the full name and contact details for everyone you deal with and keep a record of progress.

OMG...here we go again.

Haven't we "talked" about this schit and didn't you promise to stop?
I was personally accused of talking from a safe space. I feel entitled to defend myself.
rather not,actually....lost interest after the "having to call in a platoon of armed troops in Uganda " bit

sounds like either a complete retard or worse....self medicating on hallucinogens
It happened. I reported the situation to my boss, who sent them in. Peace was restored without shots, and we got the records needed. Fortunately the local people were on our side.

My 2c - From experience the best way to sort it out quickly is take all documentation and submissions and payments to a SARS branch and demand that they assist you with the matter. They will scan everything in and provide a response in writing and adjustments etc if necessary. Sending emails and letters just frustrates the matter. Make sure you get the full name and contact details for everyone you deal with and keep a record of progress.
I fully agree.