Can you reverse a debit order?

Boerseun2000

I rent out a flat. I believe my ex tenant didn't cancel his debit order, because I received rent for August from him and I shouldn't have. I don't want the money, because its not mine.
My question is, can he ask his bank to reverse the transaction? I don't want to put myself in a position where i pay him back, then he reverse the debit order and I loose money again. If the ex tenant can ask his bank to reverse it, how much time does he have to do so?

Christo4

Yes a debit order can be reversed. Not sure but 40 days ring a bell.

signates

Executive Member
Doesn't sound like a debit order as it originates from the senders bank account.

He probably setup a stop order or recurring payment to you for the rent. In which case it can't be reversed and you would need to refund it back to him via eft or cash and ask him to cancel the stop order or recurring payment.

Debit orders are instructions from the receiver of the funds to debit or take funds from another account.

nemo415

If he wants you to reverse it, agree on it in writing.

It must be a letter from him.

I, tenant, that leased flat from landlord, request a refund for accidental rental payment and request a refund of Rxxxx.

Both of you sign it.

If he does any tricks, you have an agreement.

eehellfire

Executive Member
I rent out a flat. I believe my ex tenant didn't cancel his debit order, because I received rent for August from him and I shouldn't have. I don't want the money, because its not mine.
My question is, can he ask his bank to reverse the transaction? I don't want to put myself in a position where i pay him back, then he reverse the debit order and I loose money again. If the ex tenant can ask his bank to reverse it, how much time does he have to do so?
Are you sure it's a debit order?
Because a debit order is something set up by the creditor (i.e. you). If it's a stop order or scheduled payment (i.e. set up by your ex tenant) then he can't dispute and reverse it.

Boerseun2000

Two people at ABSA and one at Standard bank stated that a Stop order cannot be reversed. They will have ask me to pay the money back. The tenant is old (90 years). I'm returning his money. I just don't trust his children. I dont want them to try any tricks.