Cant select anything in Adobe Photoshop using the selection tool

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Im not sure what I could have done, but I am unable to use the selection tool

I have put an idea here to give you an idea of what I mean:

[video=youtube;o3TAkLr_jmQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3TAkLr_jmQ[/video]

Im pretty new to photoshop so it might be something obvious I am missing. This happens no matter what type of image I am trying to edit :(

Last edited:

Sneeky

Honorary Master
Not sure what you are trying to do mate, but looks like layering and the wrong tools to me.

scenario? what you want to do?

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Not sure what you are trying to do mate, but looks like layering and the wrong tools to me.

scenario? what you want to do?
There are no other layers as shown in the video. I am using the selection tool. Unless I am using some strange version of the of the selection tool, but thats why I showed you the .net paint example first, to show you selection works. In fact, in all other Adobe applications selection works fine. Even After Effects. Its just photoshop I cant do anything :(

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Created a video so its easier to see what I mean

genetic

Honorary Master
Right click on the "background" layer in the layers panel on the right and select "Layer from background".

Now you can use the marquee tool to your hearts content.

Sneeky

Honorary Master
:D
Cool vid haha

Ok
If you want to crop, use the crop tool not the marquee tool (its the 5th one down.
In the bit where you want to move stuff around and you paint, all you need to do is ensure you are working on the correct layer. On the right side of the screen the layer panel is shown in your vid, just mouse over and select the layer you want to use.

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
Right click on the "background" layer in the layers panel on the right and select "Layer from background".

Now you can use the marquee tool to your hearts content.
That did not work :(

ghoti

Karmic Sangoma
:D
Cool vid haha

Ok
If you want to crop, use the crop tool not the marquee tool (its the 5th one down.
In the bit where you want to move stuff around and you paint, all you need to do is ensure you are working on the correct layer. On the right side of the screen the layer panel is shown in your vid, just mouse over and select the layer you want to use.
Cant select with the crop tool either :(

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Can't tell from the video but when you go to the move tool is Auto Select enabled?

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
No its not. Should it be?

EDIT: I guess not because that did not help either :(
Sorry - it's been a while since I demoed a more recent versions of PS than the one I use (CS5). I'll see if Adobe will let me demo it again.