Cappuccino machine

muzee

Looking to upgrade the espresso setup at home, in the range of around R30k for the espresso machine and up to R10k for a decent grinder. Mainly for Cappucinno/Latte based drinks, so looking preferably at a dual boiler but at minimum a heat exchanger machine. Need something with decent support locally. I have been looking into the following; but open to other suggestions as well:

Machines
  • La Spaziale - Dream T
  • Rocket Evoluzione R
  • Lelit Bianca
Grinders
  • Mahlkonig Vario
  • Baratza Sette 270
  • Eureka Mignon

Any related advice will be appreciated. Also any reputable suppliers in JHB area?

Snyper564

Expert Member
I highly recommend popping over to OLX I scored big about a year ago. I picked up a barely used Wega grinder for R2500 retails for R15k new also got a Ascaso uno three year old, but never ever opened (still had plastic on everything) for R3k Retails for R14k.

Have a look at Seattle coffee review channel on youtube a really great channel and does all big brands. You should have a lot to work with at those budgets tho. I had a very limited budget that I made work.

My babies.

I removed the bean hopper as I only do 2-4 cups max at once.

Coffee.png

muzee

I highly recommend popping over to OLX I scored big about a year ago. I picked up a barely used Wega grinder for R2500 retails for R15k new also got a Ascaso uno three year old, but never ever opened (still had plastic on everything) for R3k Retails for R14k.

Have a look at Seattle coffee review channel on youtube a really great channel and does all big brands. You should have a lot to work with at those budgets tho. I had a very limited budget that I made work.

My babies.

View attachment 630708

Thanks, will have a look

digitalis

My babies.

View attachment 630708
With that beautiful equipment - somebody is putting sugar in their coffee! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Or maybe my eyesight is failing and those are just jars of milk. Please let it be so. ;)

Snyper564

Expert Member
With that beautiful equipment - somebody is putting sugar in their coffee! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Or maybe my eyesight is failing and those are just jars of milk. Please let it be so. ;)
It is sugar. But. Not for me I enjoy my coffee especially of that quality with absolutely no sugar or sweetener of any kind. That's when you really start to appreciate the subtle flavours. I also don't store my beans in the hopper I measure out per cup I make and freshly grind. On top of that I get freshly Roasted beans to boot! Equipment of that nature deserves high quality raw materials!

digitalis

It is sugar. But. Not for me I enjoy my coffee especially of that quality with absolutely no sugar or sweetener of any kind. That's when you really start to appreciate the subtle flavours. I also don't store my beans in the hopper I measure out per cup I make and freshly grind. On top of that I get freshly Roasted beans to boot! Equipment of that nature deserves high quality raw materials!
I figured as much :thumbsup:
When I make coffee for guests and they ask for sugar, I shed a tear for the cup made from such prime beans/equipment/preparation to be sullied like that.

Snyper564

Expert Member
I figured as much :thumbsup:
When I make coffee for guests and they ask for sugar, I shed a tear for the cup made from such prime beans/equipment/preparation to be sullied like that.
Haha then we are definitely on the same page! When my wife and I walk past starbucks I always say look at all those "coffee" flavoured latte whatever drinks :p

This baby was the last piece to my coffee collection. Currently have:
1. Moka pot
2. French Press
3. Aeropress
4. Hario v60 Pour over

All which benefit from that grinder. All have their place as well.

digitalis

Haha then we are definitely on the same page! When my wife and I walk past starbucks I always say look at all those "coffee" flavoured latte whatever drinks :p

1. Moka pot
2. French Press
3. Aeropress
4. Hario v60 Pour over

Yeah - I'm not at your level yet. Mainly 'cause the wife has put a moratorium on any more coffee paraphernalia (3x moka pots, 2x bodums, 3x aeropress, 2x baratza encore grinders). All split between my office and home. My daily driver is the aeropress+baratza. Hard to beat it. When I travel I take my aeropress+porlex hand grinder.
I'm still tempted to get decent machine though. I'll have to move into a bigger house.

RedViking

Nord of the South

1. Moka pot
2. French Press
3. Aeropress
4. Hario v60 Pour over

I envy you.

Snyper564

Expert Member
Yeah - I'm not at your level yet. Mainly 'cause the wife has put a moratorium on any more coffee paraphernalia (3x moka pots, 2x bodums, 3x aeropress, 2x baratza encore grinders). All split between my office and home. My daily driver is the aeropress+baratza. Hard to beat it. When I travel I take my aeropress+porlex hand grinder.
I'm still tempted to get decent machine though. I'll have to move into a bigger house.
Haha when I brought that grinder home with the original hopper my wife said "in this moment remember what compromise is" :p I removed the massive hopper and popped an aeropress funnel and popped a tamper on that works perfectly and cut the size down by about half. Then she got me a set of le crueset mugs and said "if I have to look at that may as well make it look better"

Always wanted something like this just could never ever spend more than R10k plus on the machines so I searched for months on olx/gumtree till I came across each deal it means look everyday because they get snapped up!