Car noises

The_Unbeliever

Honorary Master
Ya, sometimes in the movies you can see the helicopter's blades spinning... :D

But in real life you can't see these spinning...

Tux

Software Communist
of course, you can test his out.
Tomorrow, when it is nice and sunny, go stand somewhere, like, on the N1 or the N3 and see if you can see the wheels spinning backwards...if at first you dont see it happen, go stand closer to the cars, if that still doesnt work, go lie down in the middle of the road and try again. repeat this a few times to get an accurate result:D .
Not exactly a car, but you see a plane's prop doing the backwards spinning thing in sunlight, so it cant be just because of the light

Xarog

Honorary Master
ah, i see...now the phrase used is time slices.....interesting.

that sun bit you mentioned is called persistence of vision. go look it up.
i'm sure you are just being a bit pedantic here for the sake of it.
You get what you give, and had your posts been phrased in such a way as to attempt to get a 'rise' out of me, I may have been more willing to meet you halfway. ;)

(And does this mean you concede that the brain must work in frames in some sense? :p )

Also, since international access is dodgy atm, looking up persistant vision is a bit difficult, so I'll explain why the two are related, as far as I'm concerned :

First off, the majority of your visual acuity is centred around whatever you are looking at. The resolution at which you see things drops remarkably quickly from the centre of your eye. Even looking away from your monitor should cause enough of a drop that you can't actually read the text on the screen anymore.

Given that, your brain spends most of its time processing the information that it's getting from the retina that correlate to the centre of your vision simply because that's where most of the retina is. Decoding and deciphering the other sections is a relatively small task in comparison, which, if the brain actually does decode parts of your vision at a time (something I find difficult to believe), then it would be a relatively easy task to do this extraneous stuff all at a single point in time, and it's unlikely that the brain would update portions of this low density areas at different times.

It's far more likely that the brain processes the entirety of a given optic signal at once, and that the blur effects are merely less durable versions of what you call the persistance effect. Retina are sensitive to light (energy), and that energy has a chemical effect on the cells of your eye, and there is definately a set speed at which your eye can deal with/dissipate that energy on a chemical level.

dablakmark8

Honorary Master
take it like this if we see it like this,how does a animal see it.the brain is a wonderful device driver