Cat 6 network cable between CPE and Router

Koosvanwyk

Need some help

I need to move my router to a new location which requires longer network cable between the Vumatel CPE and the router (TP Link AC5400)

So I got a Cat 6 (UTP patch) cable (30M). When connecting the WAN port of the Router to the CPE with this network cable nothing happens (no internet connection on Router). Putting back the old cable (Cat 5e UTP Patch Cable) results in immediate connection.

Using the 30M cable between a LAN port on Router and Laptop seems to work (cable seems ok as there is a connection between router and Laptop)

What gives (what am I missing here) ? 30M Cable seems to work, but won't allow for connection between CPE and Router ?

I actually have two of these 30M cables and both gives the same result as above ?

Koosvanwyk

Exact same set-up as above with a different router gives exactly the same results.

Must be the cable, but why ?

Koosvanwyk

That's puzzling. Compare the pinouts of the two cables.
Thanks, I tried that as well. I cannot see through the RF45 connectors on the Cat 6 cable, can’t see the pinouts !

Thinking of cutting the cable, but I don't have a crimping tool to add new RJ45's, so that's a no go

I tested the current from the one end to the other end of the CAT 6 cable, with a multimeter, they are definitely not crossover (all pins appear ok based on this test).

I used the Cat 6 cable to connect my master router (LAN port) to a 2nd Route (WAN port) which I set up as an AP (the 2nd Router has a AP function, which if turned on, means that you need to connect the cable to the WAN port as opposed to the LAN port). This worked and I can access internet from both routers. If the cable was a crossover this would have failed.

Something odd going on here.

Daruk

Honorary Master
Exact same set-up as above with a different router gives exactly the same results.

Must be the cable, but why ?
Patch cable is not ideal over that distance. It is stranded core. You should use solid core. You shouldn’t exceed 6m iirc with patch cable.

Koosvanwyk

Ok, got it to work

The Vumatel CPE has 6 ports on it. I always understood that only Port 1 should be used (have used port 1 since I got the Fibre) as that's what I was told when the Vuma contractor installed the CPE). Plugged the Cat 6 cable into port 2 on the CPE and that solved it.

Anyone clever enough to explain why ?

access

Executive Member
providers do not always activate all the ports for use on their equipment.

a lot of the time they lock their service down to one port and you can do what ever you like after that with your own equipment.

you can request to activate others, they usually manage it.