CAT cable finder

Finhobbyist

Hi all.

I need a bit of expert help.

My brother bought a small business, and it has a very nice IP camera setup, but the CAT cables going from the IP cameras to the network switch is a total mess, and very long.

Is there any good quality devices available in SA to test these cables from one end to another, to try and sort them out?? ie match the correct cable at the switch with the correct camera?

And also if any of you experienced guys have some good old tips; please share.

Many Thanks

OCP

Expert Member
Anyone with a network tester and the skill to use it can map that out for you quick quick.

Which area/city are you in - if in CT i'm happy to come test and label some cables ;-)

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Hi all.

I need a bit of expert help.

My brother bought a small business, and it has a very nice IP camera setup, but the CAT cables going from the IP cameras to the network switch is a total mess, and very long.

Is there any good quality devices available in SA to test these cables from one end to another, to try and sort them out?? ie match the correct cable at the switch with the correct camera?

And also if any of you experienced guys have some good old tips; please share.

Many Thanks
What make and model switch are the camera's plugged into?
Perhaps it has SNMP capabilities, one could then potentially see what MAC address is on which port, and you can match the MAC address to a camera...

1548314284196.png

Finhobbyist

Not sure right now about the model..
That sounds perfect though; but is there any good free SNMP software available?

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Not sure right now about the model..
That sounds perfect though; but is there any good free SNMP software available?
Perhaps try the 20 day trial of Lansweeper, but there should be free SNMP tools, we use the paid for version so not clued up about what free software is out thre that can do the same.

https://www.lansweeper.com/ls-download/?utm_expid=.f7jsEz4XQg2ndJdJXKTUpg.1&utm_referrer=https://www.lansweeper.com/

Not sure what's all included in that Freeware version they mention here

1548328352373.png

Slootvreter

Honorary Master

irBosOtter

Expert Member
Will this help with physically locating cables?
Well, if you know what camera is plugged into what port by mapping them via their mac addresses then you can trace that cable that's plugged into that port to the camera, or at least know what cable is going to which camera.

If cables are not plugged in then one of those network testers/toners will have to be used

thehuman

Expert Member
Watch camera feed , unplug network cable on switch, if more than one camera die it a uplink or downlink cable , if one camera die then you identified said camera.

lumpyza

Simplest way, 2 people required. DUDE1 stands at the switch (eyes wide open) then the DUDE2 unplugs a camera, DUDE1 takes note of which light went off and DUDE1 takes a sticker and labels the cable.

You can easily then install a patch panel, place a label on the camera end and also draw up a very neat network diagram.

Job Done.