CCTV

Hi guys,

I have a cctv setup however the dvr doesn't connect to the internet to allow remote viewing. I can only access the cameras via my phone when connected on the same network which defeats my purpose. It worked before and then decided to stop and never connected again. I tried resetting as well. Had it on DHCP configuration also, no luck. It's an 8 channel Chinese branded. Any possible solutions as to why it's not connecting to the internet or even to update the firmware? I'm using Telkom, LTE router. Thanks.

carstensdj

Expert Member
Hi guys,

I have a cctv setup however the dvr doesn't connect to the internet to allow remote viewing. I can only access the cameras via my phone when connected on the same network which defeats my purpose. It worked before and then decided to stop and never connected again. I tried resetting as well. Had it on DHCP configuration also, no luck. It's an 8 channel Chinese branded. Any possible solutions as to why it's not connecting to the internet or even to update the firmware? I'm using Telkom, LTE router. Thanks.
Did you use Port Forwards in your router? Perhaps the IP of the DVR has changed and thus, the Port Forwards aren't pointing to the correct IP address in your routers firewall?

Hi, thank you for your reply. I didnt use port forwarding on my router as the initial setup was automatic by scanning the QR code on the DVR via the mobile app. It was basically plug.

carstensdj

Expert Member
Have you tried deleting the site from the App and re-scanning the QR Code?
I tend not to use these plug&play methods as they always tend to fail at some point.

Best way to do it is to use a Static IP or DDNS with port forwards. It will ALWAYS work without fail, year after year...

Also, just to be sure, make sure that your DVR is infact on the network and has the correct settings if you haven't already?

I did delete the app and reinstalled but when I scan the QR code it doesn't detect the DVR I assume coz its not connected to the internet even though everything is plug in and there's signal (internet works). On the boot screen of the DVR where the QR code comes up for initial setup it will say "connecting" or "disconnected" I'm not familiar with how to setup the router with static IP or DDNS which I feel is the only way to get it to work now. I did read up on that but get lost along the way lol. Your advice or guidance on how to will be highly appreciated!(easy steps, lol)

carstensdj

Expert Member
In a nutshell - You need to find a dynamic DNS host. I believe there are still some services that will give you 1x free dynamic DNS, although I use dyndns (paid for) so am not entirely sure about the free ones. Just google it and options should come up. Register and setup your dynamic dns host EG: example@[dynamic DNS host].co.

Then, in your router, there will be a section where you can specify a Dynamic DNS host. You will input the hostname you created along with the login for the service you created the host on (dyndns, no-ip etc). It should tell you if it's connected.

You are then going to go into the DVR settings and assign it a static address on your home/office network. EG: 192.168.0.200

Then go back into your router and create the firewall rules. This is usually done under "Port Forwards" but some routers do it under "NAT". Generally it's "Port Forwards" though.
Your DVR will have a data port number that it uses. You can find this in the network settings on the DVR. Hikvision, for instance, uses port 8000. Dahua I think uses 37777.
In the port forwards, you are going to point the Port number that your DVR uses to the static IP that you gave it (EG: Forward port 8000 to IP of 192.168.0.200).

Once that is done, you open the app on your phone, you input the dynamic dns hostname that you created, specify the port to use and input your login details and you should be good to go.

^^^It looks like a ball ache and a lot of work but it's actually pretty quick and easy once you grasp it. Good luck. I hope this helps you bud.

www.sentian.co.za

carstensdj

Expert Member
I'm still having trouble with setting it up. I registered for DNS on the "no-ip" site. I'm confused about the port numbers WAN port and LAN port. Which port number goes where?
Almost there :)
So you going to create 2x rules here... One for port 5000 and one for port 8000.

Put 5000 in both WAN and LAN ports. Same goes for when you create the 8000 rule. IP address to input will obviously be the DVR IP address.

In some cases people will come in over the internet via a certain port (EG: 333) but once it's communicating over the LAN, it will move the traffic to port 22 (for instance). So you would then specify 333 for WAN (External) and 22 for LAN (Internal). But in your case just use the same port number for both.

Ok, I have tried and I am able to gain access to the site using my domain that i created but there is no video (have all the options cam 1 two etc.) and I can only access it when I'm on the network. Same problem as I started. What am I doing wrong or is it this dvr that's the problem:unsure:

carstensdj

Expert Member
Ok, I have tried and I am able to gain access to the site using my domain that i created but there is no video (have all the options cam 1 two etc.) and I can only access it when I'm on the network. Same problem as I started. What am I doing wrong or is it this dvr that's the problem:unsure:
Perhaps looks in the settings if there are any other ports besides the HTTP port that are mentioned?
Have you tried switching between main and sub stream?