Ceiling Crack

initroot

Hi

Hope someone can assist. Viewing a house to buy and everything is perfect except for this crack in the ceiling. Anyone know what would cause this? Something to be alarmed about.
I'm in cape town area if anyone can put me into touch with someone that might be open to home inspections.

ceilingcrakc.png

Lupus

Honorary Master
Hi

Hope someone can assist. Viewing a house to buy and everything is perfect except for this crack in the ceiling. Anyone know what would cause this? Something to be alarmed about.
I'm in cape town area if anyone can put me into touch with someone that might be open to home inspections.

View attachment 860457
Crack where in the ceiling?

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
hard to tell by that picture but that crack looks perfectly straight which could be just where the two ceiling boards join.

If people have been in the roof a number of times and walking along the beams it can bounce the boards slightly up and down which will split the gypsum board and show a crack. a bit of pollyfilla and paint should cover it back up

Lupus

Honorary Master
hard to tell by that picture but that crack looks perfectly straight which could be just where the two ceiling boards join.

If people have been in the roof a number of times and walking along the beams it can bounce the boards slightly up and down which will split the gypsum board and show a crack. a bit of pollyfilla and paint should cover it back up
Wouldn't even need polyfilla just get contractors acrylic, cheap as chips and easy to use with a caulking gun.

Adenoid Hynkel

Expert Member

Pretty much this. They also shift due to heat and cold if no roof insulation sits over it.

If it was an actual crack, which it doesn't look like, I would have a closer look at the wall where the ceiling crack meets the cornice. Moving foundation causes cracks in the walls which can spread to ceiling. Wall cracks can easily be hidden and take longer to reappear compared to ceiling.

initroot

Wow you guys are great thanks! It is perfectly straight. Where it meets the ceiling there is no cracks near the wall so makes sense its the gypsum board.

Marsie27

Just make sure the house doesn't have any flat roof anywhere if you are looking to buy in Cape Town. Except maybe a carport. Flat roofs keep roof repair places in business.

Smokey mcpot

Expert Member
Use a proper joining compound and not just the rhino glide like most people do. Also use Fibre tape on the join. Will last a lot longer. Also make sure it’s sanded and smoothed nicely or else that line will stand out like a sore thumb. Right now I’m busy doing a fix just like it.