Cell C Lte - Durban.. yes or no?!!?!?

ReeceDBN031

Hi everyone, so I am contemplating getting myself Lte, and Cell c seems to be the most reasonable...
anyone here in Durban happy with the service or should I not bother?

Please help, speed pics and all are good too.
also your area please!?

lilggg

Expert Member
Hell no...not in the last month anyway. Was more than happy a month ago, but if u looking for decent speeds during peak times i'd stay away. They may be the cheapest but what's the point if you can't use the data.

ReeceDBN031

Hell no...not in the last month anyway. Was more than happy a month ago, but if u looking for decent speeds during peak times i'd stay away. They may be the cheapest but what's the point if you can't use the data.
damn... but if I do the sim only deal its month to month.. so in 30 days notice I can cancel anytime if I aint happy...?

Sumen

Expert Member
damn... but if I do the sim only deal its month to month.. so in 30 days notice I can cancel anytime if I aint happy...?
Yes, unfortunately it's LTE, everyone will have different experience, you have to try it out.

Last edited:

ReeceDBN031

lol I have a b315 router, so sim option is best. I think ima try it and see.. sumen you have cell c lte right?

Pixual

Expert Member
Do not waste your money.

And whatever you do, don't ever buy any internet service from Web Africa. There cannot be a worse ISP on the African continent.

linkinpark

Do not waste your money.

And whatever you do, don't ever buy any internet service from Web Africa. There cannot be a worse ISP on the African continent.
Axxess as well, every response to a support ticket is a generic response and being asked to fill in that troubleshooting spreadsheet

Pixual

Expert Member
I don't believe that WebAfrica actually have a support department. 3 tickets opened, only one of them got a response. Last week. Still no official confirmation of my cancellation. If they try to debit me for this sh*t again I will raise Cain with them.

ReeceDBN031

lol ok, so help a guy out.. should I go direct to cell c and get lte or do you guys have any other options...?

apparently I have rain coverage but that directly via rain, 3rd party places say I do not have coverage.. :confused:

Pixual

Expert Member
You can't go directly to them, you have to buy it via an ISP. I would strongly advise against both Web Africa and Axxess - they have abysmal customer support. Afrihost's social media team actually do a very good job of chasing up customer support, so if you have no option but to use Cell C's crappy product, get it from Afrihost. Also, get the smallest package and DO NOT take up the offer of a "free" modem. It's not free.

I have been on Rain since the launch last year and it has been pretty good, except for one week where we were getting zero upload speeds, which in my line of work is a big problem. That's why I got the Cell C card to use as a back up since I ditched my ADSL line completely. It worked pretty well at first, so much so that I decided to upgrade it to the max 200GB package and I downgraded the Rain to their smallest 25GB option.

Since the beginning of this month the Cell C network has been rubbish. It's so slow in the evening (0.6Mbps) that it is not usable for much other than email. I swap out the sim for the Rain one and I am back to 1st world internet (avg 30Mbps d/l). Nobody is able to explain why Cell C went so bad. The obvious answer is that they have oversold the capacity, probably since Afrihost started selling it. :(

Anyway, maybe you'll get luckier than I did.

lilggg

Expert Member
You can't go directly to them, you have to buy it via an ISP. I would strongly advise against both Web Africa and Axxess - they have abysmal customer support. Afrihost's social media team actually do a very good job of chasing up customer support, so if you have no option but to use Cell C's crappy product, get it from Afrihost. Also, get the smallest package and DO NOT take up the offer of a "free" modem. It's not free.

I have been on Rain since the launch last year and it has been pretty good, except for one week where we were getting zero upload speeds, which in my line of work is a big problem. That's why I got the Cell C card to use as a back up since I ditched my ADSL line completely. It worked pretty well at first, so much so that I decided to upgrade it to the max 200GB package and I downgraded the Rain to their smallest 25GB option.

Since the beginning of this month the Cell C network has been rubbish. It's so slow in the evening (0.6Mbps) that it is not usable for much other than email. I swap out the sim for the Rain one and I am back to 1st world internet (avg 30Mbps d/l). Nobody is able to explain why Cell C went so bad. The obvious answer is that they have oversold the capacity, probably since Afrihost started selling it. :(

Interesting...did you perhaps start getting crap speeds when u upgraded to the 200gb package? Now that i think about it i had 0 issues when i was on the 100gb suddenly seems like i'm being shaped/throttled at night with the 200gb. I might just downgrade to 100gb again to test my theory.

Pixual

Expert Member
Not that I can recall. It was fine last month after I upgraded from 20GB to 200GB. Just this month that the speeds have become unacceptably slow.

And it's not just at night, during the day I am nowhere near where I was before.

ReeceDBN031

hi there, but you can go via cell c, they offer sim only packages which are month to month, so I can cancel in 30 days notice time..?

last night I got my b315. and put my old deal of the month Telkom sim in, and I get 9.85download and about 14mb upload.. its actually quite nice. sooo maybe ill wait for a nice deal of the month via Telkom

Pixual

Expert Member
As far as I can tell their fixed LTE products are not available from them directly unless you sign a 24 month contract, which would be lunacy in the extreme.

Pixual

Expert Member
It's not the same deal that you get from the ISP networks, seems slightly cheaper. Regardless, it's the same network everybody is complaining about, so you're taking a chance that could end in tears.

ReeceDBN031

It's not the same deal that you get from the ISP networks, seems slightly cheaper. Regardless, it's the same network everybody is complaining about, so you're taking a chance that could end in tears.
lol its apparently their promotions at the moment... the 20gig option is R219.. which is pretty silly.. if 50gig is R289.. but I have seen the reviews and im staying away... will stay on Telkom as it works for me, just need a good data deal.. maybe 20 25 gigs